chapter fifty two

Jeremy

Lizzie's café was a success and I had the time of my life watching her shine. The light of her silver grey eyes and the excitement coursing her veins made me the happier and being Hannah's parents made me happiest ever. There is a sweet feeling knowing Hannah would be at home waiting for us to be back and tell us how her day went, ask Lizzie to make her something and after dinner we put her to bed, kiss 'good night' on her forehead.

Lizzie had it in her; she was a fantastic mother to Hannah. There was no way I'd feel a sweet ache thinking in nearby future her and I would have kids as well and to watch Hannah be an elder sister to them would be sight to my sore eyes.

Every time I see Lizzie walk in her café, my heart skips a beat thinking it belonged to the most wonderful woman in my entire existence. Life may have been tough on her but she is tougher than that and I was overjoyed by the fact that I was a part of it.

I walk inside my office and sit my ass on the chair. Honestly, Lizzie was much efficient than every personal assistant I ever had. She was fast and accurate in her work and I missed her so much. It was barely 10 in the morning and after Lizzie made me the first cup of black coffee at her café I was back to work.

The reports, mails and everything went on for 3 in the afternoon. There is a knock on the door. I answer it to which Emma walks in with a smile on her face. "What is it?" I ask. She slid a box on the desk to me with a cheeky smile on her face. I frown but her smile doesn't disappear. Before opening I look up to her and ask, "What is in this?" She snorts, "just open it, Boss." I open the simple looking box and there was a postcard in it. I pick it up and read it.

Mr Jeremy Nicholas Langford,
Would you go to prom with me?
Yours truly,
Lily ❤

My heart skipped a beat and suddenly I lost the ability to act like a normal person. I couldn't decipher a single action, word or anything subtly humane. There was a wild adrenaline rush the moment I read those words. No shit, I might faint out of pure happiness. It would be a shame on me if I were to faint in my own fucking office but this was something I was not expecting at fucking 3 in the afternoon. There might be a second where I thought it could be a joke because Emma had a huge grin on her face when I looked up to her.

"Answer me, Boss" -she smiles- "so I could forward the reply?" I frown. Her smile drops and she sighs, "flip the card, Boss." I flip the card.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Off course, Yes, what kind of a question is this, Miss Pierce?

A smile threatens on my lips. I was going to lose my reputation of being a cold-hearted boss if I were to grin like a fool while answering this but fuck if I wanted to just jump on the table and do the iconic 'Tobey Macquire' Spider Man moves. In the name of God, I was a second away from fist bumping the air and dancing like some love struck drunkard.

I fish out a pen and mark the last option. Before I could even admire it for few more seconds, Emma snatches the card from my hands and tucks it back in the envelope. "Now" -she says looking up to me- "your clothes will be here shortly and you are requested at 6 pm to the venue."

"and where is this venue?" I ask taken by surprise.

She rolls her eyes and answers in a matter of fact tone, "your house, Boss." I nod and after some instructions on not to leave early and so, she leaves. I bite on my lower lip and lean back in my seat.

Lizzie arranged prom for me?

She did because I totally got asked to be her prom date. On one hand we were no high-schoolers but hey she was doing something and ain't no way I was going to refuse her. Never in my life would I want to see sadness on her face, even if she looked cute when she'd pout and make puppy eyes.