-seven: pilgrim world

don't forget to comment and vote 🕺🏻

"as representatives of our school, i trust you will all put your best face forward." principal weems said to the nevermore students.

today was outreach day, we're never more and jericho combined, fun right? no.

the teacher handed out the volunteer assignments and anastasia opened hers as she walked to wednesday and enid.

"yes! yes! i got pilgrim world. i have natural people skills and a love of performing, so it's kind of the obvi choice. what'd you guys get?" enid said.

"uriah's heap, whatever that is." wednesday said. "same. just ew. it's this weird, creepy antique store. you'll love it though." anastasia said to wednesday.

"i'm crossing my claws ajax and i will be outreaching together." enid said skipping away.

once they were off the bus and at jericho anastasia lost wednesday and enid, but spotted xavier.

"why are you staring at a blank wall?" anastasia asked. "it wasn't blank last outreach day." "i know i was here"

"oh my gosh, are you still stewing because wednesday rejected your invitation?" anastasia said.

"how do you know about that?" xavier said. "she has more pressing issues, we have my pressing issues."

"oh really, like what?" xavier said. "tracking down the monster that killed your roommate."anastasia said.

"here we go again, for the last time, rowan was expelled. everyone saw him leave." xavier said as the two started walking. "have you spoken to him since?" anastasia said crossing her arms.

"i texted him a few times, but i never heard back. i just figured he wanted nevermore in his rearview mirror." "or he's dead."

"i don't know why you care. it's not like you knew the guy." " i'm not sure why you care so little. people can dismiss me and make a million other excuses, but i'm not gonna stop."

anastasia pulled out a book from her bookbag, a nightshade book. "oh, great. i guess you can add "thief" to your resume."

"actually i took it from wednesday." anastasia said opening it. "i don't know what the big deal is about an old nightshade's journal anyways."

"you've seen it before, haven't you?" anastasia said when xavier made almost no reaction when she showed him the book.

"yeah. a couple days before the harvest festival. it was open on rowan's desk. i assumed he stole it after we kicked him out of the nightshades. then k confronted him about it, and he kind of went ballistic on me."

"he threw you against the wall with his telekinesis." anastasia said. she may or may not have overheard thing and wednesday taking about it.

"yeah. how did you know that?" "lucky guess." "it's weird that you and wednesday are in this. this journal is like, what, 30 years old?"

"no it's just wednesday, not both of us." anastasia said. "no look." xavier side pointing to a figure a bit far from wednesday.

anastasia turned the book to herself and saw a figure, with little droplets surrounding it.

"what the heck. and that's crackstone isn't it?" anastasia said. xavier nodded. "isn't he dead? how can he." anastasia trailed off.

"i need to go to pilgrim world." anastasia said running to find ajax.

after swapping assignments with ajax so that he had uriah's heap and she had pilgrim world, she explained all she had found out to wednesday.

the two looked around for enid at the quick announcement. wednesday had to switch with her, she had to go to pilgrim world.

"enid. switch volunteer assignments." wednesday said when they found her. "what?no. uriah's heap is definitely not my bag." enid said.

"it's an emergency. we need to check out pilgrim world." anastasia said. "but annie, this is not a fair trade. why would i agree to spend the entire day at some dumpy emporium of crapola?"

"because ajax is volunteering there. we swapped assignments. but if you're not interested..." "no! oh my gosh, thank you. you're the best!" enid said hugging anastasia then taking wednesday's assignment.

-

anastasia suddenly thought about how she would much rather be at uriah's heap at the moment, pilgrim world sucks.

"welcome to pilgrim world! witch trials every day! two o'clock, four o'clock!" people said as the student walked in.

"good morrow, my young nevermore kin. i am mistress arlene. a real oc. original colonist." "we know you're lying." anastasia said bluntly.

the lady ignored her and continued. "now prithee, put your cell phones on vibrate and make haste, for you are about to travel back in time to the year of our lord 1625, to jericho's first pilgrim settlement.."

"yonder. behold, the meeting house. inside is a collection of artifacts related to jericho's most beloved and pious founder, joseph crackstone. and beyond is our privy, america's first gender-neutral restroom."

"i haveth a query." wednesday said. was she really doing the weird language too? "pray, be quick, child." "in the meeting house, which of joseph crackstone's artifacts are on display?"

"it is truly a treasure trove, including original farm tools, tableware, even the crackstone family chamber pot." "sounds fascinating. we volunteer to work in there." anastasia said.

"pray, no. that exhibit is being renovated. today, thou will all be working at the beating heart of pilgrim world."

"Ye Olde Fudgery?" eugene said. "more like ye olde diabetes in a box." anastasia said rolling her eyes.

"volunteers, prick up thine ears. fudge is the lifeblood of our humble community. and samples equal sales, so grab a uniform and a box and make our forefathers proud."

wednesday stared at the tray of uniformes, "are these for muzzling tourists?" she said and the lady stared at her a bit scared.