"I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

"mr.lewis can you please introduce who you are and how you know the defendant?"

"yes." he answered. "i was sean's next door neighbor for the whole duration he lived in my apartment complex, until he moved out erlier this year."

"so you were present during him moving in and out?"

"yes, i was his neighbor during those times."

"can you describe what it was like being his neighbor?"

"it was very disturbing, sean was never a clam and peaceful neighbor. everyday, he had to have something going on, either his gaming or his friends or his girlfriend around."

"some nights i wouldn't be able to sleep, i filed multiple complaints against him and nothing really changed about that until he got evicted."

"mr.lewis you mentioned his girlfriend, may you please specify what kind of activity you would hear when she was around?"

"yes, i would at first hear moaning, they both seemed to be quite happy. i wasn't about to ruin their little love affair. that didn't last because, not even weeks later i started hearing, cries from behind the walls. the wall ls at the apartment complex are very thin and his bedroom is right behind mine i believe. i would often hear a man yelling and not long after screams, very loud ones from a young women. she was often asking for help, and i did hear cries while skin was slapping like he was forcing himself onto her."

"and for how long did this last?"

"a very long time, more than seven months i believe."

"did you do anything about it?"

"yes. as i said i filled a complaint, multiple times, never worked. i went up to sean front door three times i believe, when i hear these noises, before he threatened to beat me up, i backed off after that."

"did you ever see his girlfriend?"

"yes, i would often see them coming out of and elevator or going into one whenever i was out or just to even throw out my garbage."

"did you ever see any marks or bruises on her?"

"yes, i saw multiple injuries she accumulated during the times she was around. she had many black eyes during those months, bruised arms, bruised face and neck, but she usually tried to hide those. i also remember once i was in an elevator with them, sean grabbed her gaw and adjusted her scarf that was around her neck to cover the bruises up more."

"was the young women you saw, ms. o'connell?"

"yes."

"no further questions your honor."

and it was almost like i could breathe more clearly, with a filter making the air taste different. a sense of relief met my body and i found myself even more relaxed, but i still didn't let myself get my hopes up, cross examination was about to start.

but yet again, sean's attorney failed at proving a point and sat down without completing any work that actually had meaning to his case. the judge declared a ten minute break and left the court room.

i stood up and went to the bathroom to wash my face, plus i don't want to be in a room with him unless i absolutely have to. right now for these ten minutes i can leave so that's what i'm doing.

i grabbed my phone to check if i got any texts but then i remembered that i'm not supposed to be on social media until the trial is done, and talking to someone during a break is probably a bad idea. i put my phone back in my pocket and looked myself in the mirror, i smoothed out my blonde hair, reapplied aquaphor
to my lips, took a deep breath, and walked back to the courtroom.