unfinished business

billie

i haven't been alone in so long. someone always has to be nearby, they don't trust me to be alone yet, which i get. i have to get to work sooner or later, i've been gone for quite a while now. maybe going back would keep my mind of things and i'll have more of a chance at feeling normal again.

it's been three weeks since her death, i haven't visited her grave and i also haven't listened to her second will that she have finneas. maybe i'll start with that will if i want to feel normal, take it one step at a time.

i searched for my phone, lost somewhere on my bed, feeling my arms everywhere until i found a cold rectangular shape. i picked it up, looked at my home screen full of notifications, decided to swipe up, ignoring all of them and clicking on finneas' contact.

"hey bil." he answered, kind of excited with a mix of confusion.

"hi fin, is this a bad time?" i asked, biting my lip waiting for him to say 'no!' because i'm not sure if i'll get the courage to call and ask him to come over with a list of things blue left me and unfinished business she wants me to complete.

"no! no, not at all. what's up?" he assured me.

"okay good. uhm... i was kind of wondering if you can come over with blue's will?" i scratched my head. "mom is here but i don't want her to be here when you get here though, so can you kick her out? she's been really moody anyways and she's just making me feel crappier."

"don't be mean."

"i'm not! i'm just saying the truth, she's annoying me. like if you want me to feel better why are you constantly trying to pick a fight on the simplest things? i just want live, like if she doesn't want to babysit me then she doesn't have to, i don't get why you guys feel obligated to do that anyways!" i complained.

"okay, whatever you say billie. i'll be there in ten, and i'll get mom to leave too." i could hear him moving around and fetching a couple of things, including his keys before he hung up.

while i was waiting for him to come over, i made myself a tad bit more presentable by brushing my teeth and brushing my hair. that's it. he's my brother i don't have to act in front of him.

"billie." mom knocked on the door. "finneas is on his way over, i'm gonna go home now."

"okay." i looked up to make eye contact and let my head fall back to my phone screen.

mom left and the next shift arrived two minutes after. i hugged finneas for a hot second before we both relocated to the living room. "you're gonna laugh about this because this is so on brand for blue." he shook head with a little smile. he was shifting around some papers and i watched his every move, wanting to know the little thought that was making him smile. maybe i'll smile too.

"she gave me this file full of official paperwork and on the very top was a lined paper with printed text on it and her own handwriting, because she added and scratched some stuff out. the whole thing was such a mess." he continued smiling and shaking his head as he talked.

"you mean like paper from a textbook? or like printed out designs of lined paper?" i frowned.

"no like literally, from a textbook." he gave me a glimpse of what it looked like and i caught myself smiling.