Monami did not expect to hear this.  Her impression of the company is a clean one. Karan just summarised the requests: “suicide ka cause Investigate karna aur company me koi drug network hain ya nahi yeh pta lagana.. Sounds like freshman criminology introductory exercises. "

Avni said: “Come on, Karan. Iss Company me tumhare bhi shares hain. Uncle Shergill and mom took years to build this company.  Do it for their sake.”

Karan looked at Monami: "Never mind, humare pass Monami hain. Iske liye yeh achi practice rahegi since yeh abhi criminology k elementary level par hain."

 Monami ignored his scoffing comments: “ Chairman Goenka, we will do our best.”

Avni nods: “let’s take a break from work.  I hope you will enjoy the food tonight…”

She signaled the waiter to serve the courses.

 *****

Appetiser is salad. She ordered steak as main course for herself and Monami, and fried fish for Karan.  Like an elder sister, she reminded her brother: “Don’t just eat the fish, eat some vegetables too.”

Karan: “Main bachha nahi raha ab.” But then, he picked up some salad from the bowl.

The portions were quite big. Monami cannot finished her salad. Karan took a look starts eating her remaining salad. Avni give Monami a strange look. Monami glanced at her food.  There’s also leftover salad on Avni’s plate but Karan is only eating from her plate. 

****"

Karan is the last to finish eating. He wiped his mouth with a napkin and turns to Avni. Both of the ladies thought he is going to talk about his views toward the case or strategies he will be employing, but instead, he asks his sister to keep Monami’s involvement with the case a secret, so that she can go back to her little assistant role in the automotive parts division after the investigations are finished.

*****

 They were driving home.  She was pleased that he talked to his sisters about her concerns. 

 Monami: “You get on well with your sister.”

Karan: “Really? mujhe aisa nahi lagta.”

 Monami looked at him.  If it’s not because he loves her sister, would he take on such an entry-level case? 

 As if he can read her mind, he said: “If it was you who committed suicide, I will take on the investigation too.”

Monami: “……Gee…should I say thank you?"

   - Come on… no one uses this sort of analogy to express how important the person is to them. 

******

They returned to Karan’s house together to study the information on the case. 

Shagun, from Siliguri, West Bengal.  Attended University in Kolkata City.  Graduated with average grades. Single. Comes from an ordinary family.  Parents are divorced. She was raised by her mom who owns a tailor shop.  Not wealthy.

Last month, the team went on a trip together. Shagun injected too much drug into herself. Her body was found the next morning, by her colleagues.  There is also a suicide note in her room. It’s not a suspicious death. 

 Information pack also contained the resort they went for the retreat, photos of her body in the room, her personal items such as clothes, jewellery, etc, confessions of her colleagues.