Little Blind Mouse (Pt.2)

A-Qing heard the shout from where she walked a little off to the side of the crowd and instantly knew they had realised. She swore softly, looking back to see that the younger of the two had already spotted her. They locked eyes and without thinking, she dropped her cane and bolted.

"You little shit!" The boy yelled charging after her, while the older man rolled his eyes and rubbed his face.

A-Qing weaved between the crowed, ignoring everyone as the swore and yelled when she barged into them. It was a good thing she was small and used to situations like this, because normally she would outrun the person chasing her within minutes. However, when she looked back, she saw that the boy was not only running through the crowd with expert skills, but also a lot closer than she expected. She picked up speed.

"Get back here you little shit!" The boy yelled again, also picking up his speed.

A-Qing ran faster again, getting to the outskirts of the crowd and crossing the bridge out of town in record time, but not stopping to take a breath because she could hear the hard stomp of feet right behind her. She gasped for air, trying to go even faster, but her legs were tired and the money bags that she was carrying were hitting her.

"Fuck off!" She gasped, willing herself not to slow down as the boy seemed to pick up even more speed.

"Give us back out money!"

"Like hell!"

Wham!

Something rammed into her back, causing her to fall forward and only giving her seconds to protect her face with her hands before she hit the floor with a loud thump. The wind escaped her lungs and she wheezed softly, unaware of the pressure on her back.

"Give us our money!" A voice growled. grabbing her arm and rummaging in her sleeve until he grabbed the two pouches.

"Give... Give them back!" A-Qing wined still gasping for air but refusing to go another night without food.

"Fuck off! They're not yours!" The boy spat.

"I need them!" She yelled, rolling over and therefore shoving the boy off of her.

He slumped to the ground. The pouches falling out of his hands as he went. In his moment of weakness, A-Qing lunged for them, however an arm wrapped around her neck in a gentle but strong lock, stopping her from moving forward.

"I need them!" She yelled again, a little more desperate this time.

"We need them too! Didn't you think about that!?" The boy yelled back.

"No! No, you don't! Not as much as I do! I need to eat!" She fought harder. So hard that the gentle grip began choking her and tears filled her eyes. "Let me go!"

She lashed out with her fist, connecting with the boy's jaw and making him yelp.

"Let her go Xue Yang." Said another voice, making A-Qing freeze and look up to see the older cultivator standing over them. The two pouches held in his hand.

At his words the grip on A-Qing's neck disappeared and the boy got to his feet, clutching his jaw and glaring down at the crying girl. They had got them; they were going to take them. She was going to go hungry again. She should've just gone after the child seller.

"Woah, hey. Why are you crying?" 

She opened her eyes to see the man crouching down in front of her concern etched on his face. She sniffed angrily, wiping her nose with her hands and glared at him.

"You cultivators are all the same. Stop acting like you fucking care and just fuck off already." She spat breaking eye contact to look at the ground.

"Don't speak to him like that." The boy growled, but the man held up a hand to stop him from saying more.

"Why do you say that?" He asked, making A-Qing scoff.

"You try living on the streets! You try stealing just to buy your next meal! Cultivators like you don't know what it's like to not know when your next fucking meal is! You don't know what it's like to freeze in the winter! You have no idea what it's like!" She screamed tears falling down her face as she let all her anger out. However, the cultivators didn't look away from her.

The man held her eye contact, before standing up and handing the pouches over to the boy. A-Qing watched him with a scowl. Hating him. Hating both of them. Knowing that they were about to leave and hating that they had the power to do that. To go to a real home...

"We did." The man said quietly. A-Qing sniffed, not hearing him properly.

"What?"

"We did." The man repeated before lifting up his robes to reveal a large scar on the back of his leg and a large chunk of his flesh missing. A-Qing blinked.

"We both did." The boy added, handing the pouches back to the man and showing his hand where his baby finger was missing.

"It's hard surviving out here. We have the scars to prove it and we understand why you did what you did. There is no need to justify your actions." The man said again, crouching back down to A-Qing's level.

"H-How did you... Get out of it?" The young girl asked desperate to know what the secret was. The boy just snorted gently.

"Some weird old guy, though a rock at me and knocked me off a wall." He chuckled making the older man smile.

"You through it first and don't call me old you brat." He said then turned back to the girl. "But yes, we had people willing to take us in and if you're up for it, you are welcome to join us on our way back home." 

A-Qing stared at him, seeing only truth within his eyes and let out a sob. Getting to her feet and whipping her eyes. The man stood up too watching her closely while she regained her composure. 

"Let me guess." She hiccupped. "You're Wei Wuxian." 

The man and boy grinned when she said his name and she let out a small laugh.

"I know all about you and how you take in stray kids from the streets. I'm A-Qing." She smiled at them.

"Nice to meet you A-Qing. This is Xue Yang." Wei Ying smiled back then looked over at the boy then at the pouches. "Just so we're clear, we're not returning whoever's money that is." He added making both of the kids chuckle.

"They're long gone by now anyway." A-Qing sighed.

"Hell yeah! Free drinks!" Xue Yang cheered. "A-Yuan's gonna be thrilled."

"Just don't tell Wen Qing."

A-Qing smiled following behind as they set off along the path away from the town, teasing and talking happily together. It had been one weird ass day, but a good one from what she could tell. Something good had happened at least... 

-End of Little Blind Mouse-