Mixed Signals (Pt.5)

The five of them walked around the abandoned city, occasionally running into more corpses and cutting them down. However, it took them hours to find any sign of the demons and they only did because they were attacked again.

A-Qing had been grabbed from the back by one of the demons and screamed which surprised the other four. They tried to help her as the demon sunk its claws into her back and drew blood, but the second their backs were turned more demons jumped out and ambushed them in a similar manner. Only Xue Yang was vaguely prepared for the attack and managed to fend off his demon long enough to pull A-Qing away and shield her behind himself.

The gashes on her back were deep and she was rapidly losing colour. Xue Yang could only assume that severe damage had been done. He brandished his sword in his right hand as the two demons closed in on him and A-Qing. The girl was leaning on him limply, which limited Xue Yang's movement because he didn't want to let her go. One of the demons took a step forward and bared its yellow teeth at Xue Yang. It was taunting him. Showing the while Xue Yang protected A-Qing, he was at a disadvantage.

Xue Yang slashed out with his sword to the best of his current ability, but the monster didn't move and the other one even took a step closer.

"A little help over here!" Xue Yang yelled hoping that someone will hear him. There was a flash of black and the two demons stumbled backwards, while Xue Yang tightened his grip on A-Qing.

Song Lan turned to look at them while maintaining his fighting stance. He examined A-Qing and the scowled at Xue Yang, who tried not to let the look bother him.

"Is she conscious?" He asked in his low voice. Xue Yang glanced back at A-Qing to check and she groaned a little in response.

"Yeah, but she's dazed." He answered. Song Lan nodded and swung his sword in the direction of the demons as they closed in again.

"Your friend and Xingchen are taking shelter in that hut. Take her there." He said and nodded in the direction of a small wooden hut that was surrounded by unconscious demons. Xue Yang gulped a little, but felt A-Qing's weight shift as she leaned on him more and knew he had no choice.

He quickly turned as Song Lan engaged the demons in a full fight and lifted the girl over his shoulder. She groaned in pain but did not fight him. Xue Yang then scooped up the sword she dropped earlier and bolted for the hut as one of the demons reached out for them. 

The second he reached the door it swung open and Xuanyu stepped aside to let Xue Yang in as the demons outside stirred. Song Lan quickly joined them. Just as the hem of his black robes made it over the threshold clawed hands of demons snatched at them and the door slammed shut.

Xuanyu pressed himself against it as loud thuds rang out. Clearly the demons were trying to force it open from the outside. Xue Yang place A-Qing gently on the floor and she hissed through gritted teeth. Xiao Xingchen instantly kneeled over her and inspected her injuries, while Xue Yang went off to the side and tried to catch his breath.

"These are deep..." Xiao Xingchen muttered as he carefully made the girl sit up and examined her back. As he continued his inspection of her injuries Xue Yang glanced around the hut and noticed that Xuanyu had a large gash on his face. Blood was dripping into his eye making the white red. 

Xue Yang instantly rushed over and grabbed Xuanyu's chin to inspect it. The other boy stared at him in shock. 

"What are you doing?" He asked as the door jolted and he wobbled forward slightly. Xue Yang glared at him and then back at his wound.

"I'll fucking kill them..." He mumbled and Xuanyu pushed his hand away when he realised what he meant.

"Stop, it's fine. It's just a scratch." He said softly, but this only made Xue Yang more angry.