Remember Me by Allen Coulter

In 1991 in New York City, 11-year-old Alyssa "Ally" Craig is waiting with her mother for the subway on the at . Suddenly, the pair are mugged by two young men who then shoot her mother before boarding the train. Ally is left scarred by the events and refuses to travel by subway again.

Ten years after her mother's death, 21-year-old Ally () is a student at . She lives at home with her overprotective father, Neil (), a who worries that she is becoming too guarded.

Tyler Hawkins () is a moody, directionless, yet good-moraled 21-year-old, who is auditing classes at NYU and working in the university bookstore. He has had a strained relationship with his businessman father, Charles (), since his brother Michael's suicide years before. He now writes to Michael in his diary. Charles also appears to ignore his youngest child, Caroline (), of whom Tyler is very protective.

While out in the city one night with his best friend, Aidan (), Tyler gets involved in somebody else's fight and ends up getting arrested by Neil. Charles bails Tyler out but he appears unappreciative and doesn't stick around long enough to have a conversation with his father. The following day at school, Aidan sees Neil dropping Ally off, realizing that she is his daughter. He approaches Tyler with the idea to get back at the detective by persuading him to sleep with and ultimately dump Ally. Tyler reluctantly agrees. They go for dinner and kiss at the end of the night, and then continue seeing one another more and more, which eventually leads to a relationship. While at Tyler's apartment one night, Aidan gets Ally very drunk and she ends up crashing there. The following day, she and her father argue over it, ending with Neil slapping her face. Disgusted, Ally moves in with Tyler and Aidan. They bond of their family losses and soon fall in love.

Meanwhile, Caroline, who is a budding artist, is featured in an art show. Tyler tries to convince his father to attend the show, but he goes away on business. Tyler angrily confronts him after the show, which drives a further wedge between the two. Later, Neil's partner recognizes Tyler with Ally on a train coming from a beach holiday with his family. Neil breaks into Tyler's apartment and confronts Tyler. Tyler provokes Neil by confessing to Aidan's plan and his initial reason for meeting Ally, which in turn forces Tyler to confess everything to Ally. She leaves him angrily and returns to her father's home. Aidan visits Ally at her father's home to explain that only he is to blame, and that Tyler was sincerely in love with her.

Caroline is bullied by a group of classmates at a birthday party where they cut her hair off. Ally and Aidan visit Tyler's mother's apartment where we see Caroline sobbing. Tyler accompanies his sister back to school and when her classmates tease her for her new haircut, Tyler turns violent and ends up in jail again. Charles is impressed that Tyler stood up for his sister, and they begin to reconnect. Later, Charles asks Tyler to meet with him and his lawyers at his office. Tyler spends the night with Ally and leaves her a note saying he'll be back. Charles takes Caroline to school and is late, so Tyler waits in his office, where he sees, on Charles's computer, a screensaver of pictures of Tyler, Michael and Caroline when they were younger, showing that he cares for them.

After Charles drops Caroline off at school, she sits in her classroom, where the teacher writes the date on the blackboard as . Tyler looks out at from the window of his father's office—which is revealed to be located on the uppermost floors of the North Tower of the . Once the 9/11 terrorist attacks begin, the rest of the family (along with Aidan and Ally) look, horrified, at the towers before the camera pans over the rubble, showing Tyler's diary. In a voice-over of his diary, Tyler reveals to Michael that he loves him, and he forgives him for killing himself. Tyler is buried next to Michael.

Some time later, Caroline and Charles seem to have a healthy father-daughter relationship. Aidan, who has since gotten a tattoo of Tyler's name on his arm, is working hard in school and Ally is finally taking the subway again, after having avoided it since her mother's death. The film ends as she looks at the camera with a sad smile.

I give it 3.1/5 stars