You've got Mail by Nora Ephron

Kathleen Kelly () is involved with Frank Navasky (), a leftist newspaper writer for who's always in search of an opportunity to root for the underdog. While Frank is devoted to his , Kathleen prefers her and logging into her account. There, using the 'Shopgirl', she reads an email from "NY152", the screen name of Joe Fox () whom she first met in an "over-30s" . As her voice narrates her reading of the email, she reveals the boundaries of the online relationship; no specifics, including no names, career or class information, or family connections. Joe belongs to the Fox family which runs Fox Books — a chain of "mega" bookstores similar to or . Kathleen, on the other hand, runs the The Shop Around The Corner that her mother ran before her. The two are shown passing each other on their respective ways to work, revealing that they frequent the same neighborhoods in upper west Manhattan. Joe arrives at work, overseeing the opening of a new Fox Books in New York with the help of his best friend, branch manager Kevin (). Meanwhile, Kathleen and her three store assistants, George (), Aunt Birdie (), and Christina () open up her small shop that morning.

Following a day on the town with his eleven-year-old aunt Annabel () and four-year-old half brother Matthew () (the children of his frequently divorced grandfather and father, respectively), Joe enters Kathleen's store to let his younger relatives experience storytime. Joe and Kathleen have a friendly casual conversation that reveals Kathleen's fears about the Fox Books store opening around the corner, shocking Joe. He therefore introduces himself with "Joe. Just call me Joe," omitting his last name, and makes an abrupt exit with the children. However, at a publishing party for New York book business people later in the week, Joe and Kathleen meet again, where Kathleen discovers Joe's true identity. She accuses him of deliberate deception and spying, while he responds by belittling her tiny store.

Following suggestions from Frank and from Joe via his secret "NY152" identity Kathleen begins a media war, including both a of Fox Books and an interview on the local news. All the while, "NY152" and "Shopgirl" continue their verbal courtship, until "NY152" asks "Shopgirl" to meet. Too anxious to go alone, Joe brings Kevin along for emotional support. He insists that "Shopgirl" may be the love of his life. Meanwhile Kevin, looking in a cafe window at the behest of nervous Joe, discovers the true identity of "Shopgirl." When Joe is told that it is actually Kathleen behind the name, first flees but returns to confront her as Joe (still concealing his "NY152" alter ego – and his feelings). The two exchange some bitter words and Joe leaves the cafe hurt, leaving Kathleen initially remorseful. Kathleen later returns home puzzled why NY152 might have stood her up but accepts his online apology the next evening.

Despite all efforts, The Shop Around the Corner slowly goes under. In a somber moment Kathleen enters Fox Books to discover the true nature of the store is one of friendliness and relaxation, yet without the same dedication to children's books as her independent shop. Eventually, her employees move on to other jobs; as Christina goes job hunting, George gets a job at the children's department at a Fox Books store (Joe later says working in George's department now requires the equivalent of a PhD in children's literature) and Birdie, who is already quietly wealthy from investments, retires.

Allowing time for their electronic relationship to convalesce, Joe visits Kathleen, bearing flowers, while she is sick, and for the first time makes a favorable impression. Joe discovers that Kathleen has broken up with Frank, who is starting a relationship with Sydney Ann (), a talk show host whose TV interview struck mutual sparks. This is predated by one week by Joe and his uptight egocentric girlfriend, Patricia (), who broke up after being stuck in the elevator in their apartment building, prompting Joe to realize who he prefers. Kathleen and Joe cease hostilities and develop a tentative friendship that warms over the course of a few weeks as they begin to spend more time with one another.

During this period, "NY152" mysteriously puts off meeting Kathleen, prompting friendly amusing banter between Joe and Kathleen. Finally, "NY152" and "Shopgirl" agree to meet for the first time since "NY152" apparently stood her up. Joe and his dog Brinkley (the topic of numerous e-mails) meet Kathleen at . Kathleen admits that she had wanted "NY152" to be Joe so badly, and the two kiss.

I give it 3.5/5 stars