Don't Be Soft on Me Now

Start from the beginning

"Oh no you're right were just trespassing on dead peoples graves."

"The dead aren't scary, just misunderstood. And were not trespassing, its a public space, besides were not doing anything wrong. If we went grave stomping that would be a different story."

I stomped on the ground and walked away. Denis groaned behind me and I chuckled.

"Don't do that, I don't want to be haunted."

"You're so naïve Denis. No ones going to haunt you." I walked to the specific grave I was looking for and sat down in front of it. Denis sat next to me.

"I remember you fought so hard to get his grave in here." 

"Just because he wasn't human, does not mean he shouldn't be allowed in the cemetery, I'm just glad they took pity on me." 

"Frank deserved a good grave." I nodded and smiled. I ran my hand over my dogs grave. 

"I remember when I forced you to sleep out here with me." Denis laughed.

"Your parents were all for it but mine were having a heart attack." I laughed along with him.

"I'm going to miss you Ophelia." I looked at the ground and nodded. The lump in my throat returned.

"Me too, Denis."

I stood up and led Denis out of the cemetery. 

For the next few hours we sat in a library and a book store, and many other of my favorite places in town. I said my goodbyes to the people who worked there, who knew me by name from how frequently I went there. 

At around 5 o' clock we made our way into the dark store that was Norgon's. No one, no matter how hard they tried, could change my mind.

Norgon's was the best store in town. 

Denis and I looked through the racks of clothing for 30 minutes and after some great finds, and some awful ones presented by Denis, we walked to the front to check out.

As we waited in line I spotted a long black dress in one of the isles. I handed the huge pile of clothes I was holding to Denis and went to go grab it.

I needed something to wear to the funeral.

I walked back to Denis, who was now at the front of the line, and put the dress and everything else on the counter. 

I spent 87 dollars and walked away with three large bags of clothing.

We spent two hours in Norgon's and  by the time we got out, it was seven. 

"Are you going home now?" Denis asked. I shook my head.

"There was one more place I wanted to go. Do you think you could drive?" Denis nodded, and we headed back to the diner where he had left his car. 

I threw the bags into the trunk and got into the passenger side of the black car. I gave him the directions, and soon enough we were making our way up the long driveway to my house.

I got out at the top and stared over the wreckage being illuminated by the setting sun. 

"Oh my god." Denis stood beside me and looked at the destroyed house with me. "Ophelia, I'm-"

"I don't need your pity Denis." I cut him off, he sighed but quieted.

There was a new border of police tape and little orange flags dotted the ground. Callahan must've been here today.

I turned on my heal and walked back to the car.

"Wait, that... that's it?" I looked over my shoulder and nodded.

"I just wanted to say my final goodbyes to it."

"Oh."

We both got back into the car and I had Denis drive me all the Way back to Callahan's house. He helped me get the bags up to the front door. The Chiefs car wasn't there yet, so he must've still been at work.

We got the bags up to the guest bedroom and made our way back downstairs. We stood by the door.

"Thank you for coming with me today, it means a lot to me."

"Well, you're my best friend, besides you would've done it for me." I nodded.

"Will you come with me to the funeral?" Denis sighed softly and smiled.

"Well how else would I say goodbye to you?" He asked. I was relieved. It would be nice to have a familiar face next to me in the sea of unknown family members.

"Alright well, you should probably go before Callahan comes back, I don't want him to be suspicious."

"Of us?" I nodded and we both looked at each other. Immediately we busted out laughing at the thought of Callahan thinking we were together.

"I mean maybe if I weren't as gay as gay could be, but until then you're out of luck."

"Yeah right," I rolled my eyes at him. We both put our hands out and did our secret handshake and Denis headed back to his car.

I watched him drive away and closed the door softly.

Now that I was alone I could feel the sinking feeling of having nothing sink back in. I could feel the tears begin to choke me up and I quickly ran up the stairs to the room.