Heat

Julie's POV

Julie's POV

Nearly a month had passed since I had arrived at the Blue Moon pack. I had not left the room yet, but every time I looked in the mirror, I thought it was for the best. I was still recovering and did not want any of the pack members to think I was not fit to be Luna.

I had not seen my mate since moving here. I could smell his fresh scent on the bedsheets every morning, but when I woke up, he was never there. The doctor visits regularly, and Beta Terry is still coming three times a day. We became friends, and he spoke to me about the pack and his time with my mate when they were pups, and away on Alpha and Beta camp.

My health was slowly improving, and I was doing everything to improve it. I ate all the meals and took the vitamins doctor Paul gave me. The bath helps with sleep. I have not had nightmares since I got here, and I was glad not to wake up screaming, afraid of uncle Michael.

The only missing piece was my mate. We were made to be together and should not be separated for that long. I remember how my mother would feel the detachment effects when my dad was away for a long time. She was constantly tired and sick, and I was feeling tired. But I was not getting worse because I could smell his fresh scent every day. Somehow it was comforting.

Aphrodite says Ares reaches out to her during the day, projects beautiful images and talks to her. But that is not possible for me. The mindlink will only work between Max and me after he marks me at the Luna ceremony.

Before uncle Michael made me an Omega, I had two years of training in pack business from my parents. I knew it would not be enough for my Luna duties, I was only a pup. So I asked Beta Terry to bring me a few books to help me prepare for my new role. I was learning as much as possible, even when I was too tired. I needed to be qualified for my pack and a good mate for their Alpha. They needed me.

***

Max's POV

I was heading back to my office after training. My warriors were impressed by how my skills had been improving daily. I was faster than before. My senses were sharper, and on top of that, Ares hunts every morning for his mate's meal, and we only catch big prey each time with an easy kill.

I arrived at my office feeling good and found Terry waiting for me with his daily reports about the little wolf. And guess what? I never asked for those reports. "I spoke to doctor Paul today, Max, and he said Julie is not improving as fast as she should. He ran tests on her wolf, and she is much improved. But her human is not, Max. Ares has accepted her, takes care of her, but you don't."

I huffed in annoyance. "Terry, why aren't you that eager to give me the balance sheets I asked you for two days ago? I never asked for any updates on the girl, yet you have even provided me with a background check and daily reports."

Terry looked at me with an angry face. "Do you know all these self-improvements you've had in a month will go away once she dies? You are becoming stronger each day, and she is weaker, Max. You are feeding on her strength and not giving anything in return."