Ch 85 : Heir

Days went by in the blink of an eye is what I'd like to say, however many changes took place in the palace.

Shortly after Athanasia began hosting tea parties and began fitting in with her peers, Arius was called by Claude in his office.

The conversation started normally,  Claude then gave him a brief update regarding the situation at north. The Villareals had successfully infiltrated the north.

Now this was both a good news and bad one, since Arius was worried of what might be awaiting them there. However the fact that Claude told him instead of being secretive was an improvement Arius was overjoyed to see.

"Thank you Dad." He had told him then.

Claude's blank expression remained unchanged but he did get up from his chair and said, "Take a walk with me."

The two royals strolled off and eventually arrived at the Amethyst Garden.

"Your mother and I used to have tea a lot in this place." Claude spoke before heading inside. It was still well kept despite the Ruby Palace no longer being the residence of any royal.

"Do you . . .miss mom?"  Arius asked after thinking for a while.

Claude turned and faced his son. Jeweled eyes stared into each other.

"I'm sorry Arius. I haven't been a good father to you nor your sister."

". . . That's all in the past dad. What matters is the present. You're doing a great job right now." Arius replied with a smile.

"Arius. I know I have no right to ask this of you, especially when you were clearly against it ever since you were a child. But, would you be my heir?"

To be his heir meant to be the next emperor. And Arius had always been against it. However, things have changed. He doesn't want to travel the world anymore. He wants to stay with his family, and protect them.

Arius didn't have to think too long to answer that question.

"I doubt I'd make a good heir, but I will try my best."

"Are you sure? It's a heavy responsibility and the nobles are a constant headache, and I want you to choose whatever makes you happy. I don't want to force it on you."

"I'm fine with it Dad. If anything, you work too much, I'd like to take over your burden so you can have more time to rest."

In no time Claude reached his hand and gave Arius a violent head pat.

Although Claude didn't say anything, his expression had softened and his lips had curved into a soft smile. They didn't need to speak to understand each other. Claude was happy to hear his son say that and Arius was equally happy to see his father so considerate about his opinions and choices.

"There's a conference with the nobles in 5 days. You will attend that with me, as my heir. Lets go to my office and discuss the details there."

And so the two headed back inside.

Furthermore, another desk was placed in Claude's office for Arius. Since now Arius's official lessons as the crown prince had begun. Claude would personally teach him everything there was to know.

For the first conference Arius just had to observe the exchange between the members and understand how everything worked. The discussion traveled across a few topics and Arius paid attention to each one.

Claude had mentioned how he intended to hold a ceremony to officially give him the title of crown prince. But Arius was against it for the time being. He wanted to sort out the situation within the Palace first.

And by 'situation', he meant Jennette. Clearly Duke Alpheus had intended on Jennette being his source of power once she entered the Palace however the emperor was hardly giving her any attention.

There was also the issue at the north. Having a ceremony at the moment wouldn't be wise.

Speaking of Jennette, ever since their discussion that night she had been visiting the library a lot. The royal siblings were deciding when to talk to her about it further but decided to give her some time to discover herself and sort her mind out.

And that turned out to be a good choice, because on one fateful night as the trio were having dinner together. Jennette spoke up.

". . . Your Highnesses, regarding our past discussion. . ."

All servants in the room were immediately dismissed by Arius and Lilian and Olivia were standing guard outside the dining room.

"Go on."

"I feel bad for how I reacted. You were only helping me and looking out for me and yet I failed to see your efforts, I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apologize for it Jennette, it was a normal reaction. We did reveal something huge to you. " Athanasia reassured her.

"I-I prepared gifts for you as a token of my gratitude and sign of apology. I hope you will accept it." Jennette took out two boxes from a bag on the empty chair beside her.

She placed the grey velvet boxes in front of her cousins and the two stared at her with a smile.

"You didn't have to do this." Arius said.

"No please! Ijekiel and I chose them together. You've been so kind to me. And even protected and welcomed me as you would for a sibling."

The royal siblings decided to accept her gifts and opened it in front of her.

Athanasia recieved a hair pin with a bow made from the finest blue silk and a intricately carved blue gemstone in the center.

Arius too received a blue gemstone brooch with black silk ribbons dangling from its sides.

The siblings were more than pleased with the gifts and they expressed it.

For the remainder of the dinner, the three of them discussed Jennette's father. Anastacius de alger Obelia.

.
.
.
Vote and Comment!

[A/N] : Double Updates! but they're really short chapters, so yea...

Thank you for reading!