Chapter 21: A Promise is a Promise

Start from the beginning

When I came to Gaston's house yesterday the mess I saw was only the beginning of some dark abyss filled with trash and other objects that I just can't categorize. I seriously don't understand how he lives in this place, the alcohol probably helps. 

"Where exactly would you like me to start?" I nervously ask eyeing the heaps and heaps of rubbish. 

Quietly he slumps against a small table and looks around the room with almost calculating eyes.  

"The bookshelf sounds like a good place to start. Just be careful with those books they were Le Fou's," I can almost see a small tear forming in the corner of his eye but he quickly sniffs it away and gives me a coy smile, "And they are extremely expensive." 

With that statement hanging in the air, he stumbles away to the other room where the sound of glass bottles clinking could be heard soon followed by one being opened and the muffled sound of drinking. 

Excitement bubbles in me and has been there ever since he uttered the word bookshelf. I rush over to grab a few stacks of books that were placed away from the messy bookshelf, including the one that contained the purple book. 

I pull the book out from its stack and using the sleeve of my dress (that I sadly have to wear when I'm out) I brush the thin layer of dust that had settled on the front cover. 

"Grimoire, that's an odd name," I whisper as I read the title printed on the front cover in curly gold letters and then start to put it into the small brown bag I brought with me. 

"I agree," a hushed voice appears from behind me. 

A small scream rips from me but it quickly turns into a spew of curse words when I see Adrien standing behind me with that damn smirk on his face. 

"How did you get in here?" I ask. 

He shrugs, "The door was open," his gaze drifts away from my eyes toward the book in my hands, "What are you doing with that book?" 

"I was... I... uh... oh dammit I need to borrow it for a bit." 

"So why don't you ask him?" he asks with his eyebrows raised. 

"I can't let him know that I'm taking it," I whisper. 

A wide smile tugs at his lips, he looks like a child who has heard that he is getting some cake. 

"So you're gonna steal it, that's going to be quite difficult." 

"Why are you saying that?" I ask. 

"Cause Gaston is coming back right now." 

As heavy footsteps approach, I move my hands so that the book is hidden by my back. 

"You want some help?" Adrien whispers to me, and all I can do is nod. 

"Why the bloody hell were you screaming- oh, Adrien, what a nice surprise."

You can clearly see the calming effect that Adrien holds over Gaston mostly from how much Gason's face softens when he sees him. Personally, I don't understand it mostly cause of how annoying Adrien can be but I can only assume Adrien was more likeable when he was a child and that has corrupted Gaston's view of him. 

Adrien gives me a small smile and a subtle wink before he walks over to Gaston and leads the old man back into the room where he came from which allowed me to slip the grimoire into the bag. 

I guess stealing was as easy as it sounded. This time at least. 

The mattress beneath me feels like heaven for my tired and sore body

As soon as I had sorted the massive bookshelf Gaston had me clean up some of his clothes and then had me run my laps around the village and after that, he forced me to sword fight with him. Needless to say, the second I got into this room I collapsed onto the bed where I still am. 

All while I lay here on my bed my eyes wander to the spot next to the door where I dropped the bag that contains that strange purple book. The grimoire that I will have to take to the castle sometime soon and give to Maurie so that he can do whatever the hell he needs to do. 

But do I really have to take it?  What do I owe those people?

What change will it make to my life if I go to this castle and spend time with these people and who's to say that this book will even help them? 

So many questions swarming my mind, so much doubt about the actions I have to take, but it doesn't change a single thing. 

I made that promise, and like my father always used to say a promise is a promise no matter how much you don't want to do it you have to suck it up and do it anyway because that's what an honourable person does.