- Breaking literal and hypothetical legs -

Start from the beginning

Anyways, Milo has had it with their costume and almost envied Oz for not having to deal with the hassle of costume malfunctions. They also envied Oz for how well he knew them, the reaper was about to kill and reap someone over a stupid costume and Oz just quietly sat down to help them out... It was sweet.

"So anyway, what are you planning on doing during the show?" Milo asked Oz, they asked him this every night out of curiosity and Oz always replied; "Maybe help out the tech crew or stagehands." Which Milo always had conflicting emotions on. Oz was one of the best actors they had and he was part of the tech crew willingly! It frustrated the enby because Oz's stupid stage fright was getting the way of his dreams.

"You should really be out there on the stage, you know." Milo states and Oz blinks tiredly as if the two have already had this conversation a million times. However, Oz came up with a quick remark, jokingly saying, "I am on stage! I move the set around, a true starring role."

Oz felt the impact of Milo's hand slapping his chest playfully and nearly jumped from the contact. "You know that's not what I meant, you should be playing the prince. I'm like, 90% sure that Damien only got casted because he's a literal prince; he certainly doesn't have the acting skills to justify having a lead role." Milo whispers the last part, in order to not have any drama on set right before a show.

Oz just laughs softly, while pulling at the hair in his lap. "I don't know, you certainly seem to like his characterization while on stage." Oz teases, which Milo almost audibly gasped at.

"We're love interests, of course I have to pretend to like him on stage! For the record, I can pull way better than fucking Damien and I'm insulted you try to insinuate otherwise!" Milo shouted a bit too loudly, which caused everyone's heads to turn towards the two monsters on the couch. Milo could see Oz's posture stiffen at the unexpected attention and they silently cursed to themselves.

"Sorry about that darling, but I simply had to get my point across." Milo jokes while eyeing everyone in the room, which got everyone to quickly look away. Oz just laughs while focusing all of his attention on the tangled hair. That was until their director slammed the room's door open, which almost caused Oz to jump out of his own skin(?).

The door crashing against the wall wasn't the only sound the director was making, because soon she started shouting at whoever was on call with her. She started storming off to a group of the tech kids and Milo let out a gasp of relief that she didn't walk over to them and Oz.

The room was completely silent afterward with everyone focusing on their work so they wouldn't piss off the director more than she already was. Before going back to the hair in their laps, Milo and Oz made eye contact with each other. It was simple, but their eyes were both asking the same thing to each other- actually the eyes were more begging that the call had nothing to do with Damien, who still hasn't shown up.

As if scripted, the director walked up to the two only a minute later. Milo could hear her heels aggressively hit the floor while walking up to them and they put on their best 'What's wrong and how's it going' face.

"Okay so-" The director starts and Oz's heart drops into his stomach. "Damien was told not to jump off our set pieces but did anyway because why not! He's now at home with a broken leg and just now told me, so you're going to be on stage tonight Oz."

Milo looked over to Oz, which appeared to be ten times lighter than he usually did, gripping the hair in his hands like a lifeline. Milo would've done anything to comfort the boy in the moment, but all they could do was stare at him with what looked to be pity.

"Ma'am, are you sure no one else can cover the role fo-" "No Oz, you are the understudy, it's your job to go on stage when this shit happens." She states while trying to mock a comforting tone, but Oz was too far gone to be comforted.