~25~

|-|

I cannot believe I am watching a track, meet? Game? Whatever you call it. On a Friday fucking night. I used to go to parties, go out. And now, I'm about to be in bleachers, with Park Seonghwa, watching track.

What has my life come to?

I lock my bike up, and practically sprint across the street to the field. This was apparently a fairly big event, as there were plenty other people here.

"You're late."
A very familiar voice calls out.
Park Seonghwa stood, arms crossed over his chest, against a large tree.
"As always."
He shoves himself from the tree, closing the distance between us.
"I brought snacks."
I said, shaking a bag of sugar cookies in his face.

It was cold out, cold enough to see our breath. It felt too cold for sports.

Seonghwa's eyes looked over my fully black outfit.
"You look nice."
He compliments.
"So do you."
I reply, sticking my hand out to pet the soft fabric of his dark purple turtleneck sweater.

"I'm cold I say."
Lightly shivering. Regretting not wearing heavier clothing.
"I have a scarf."
Seonghwa said, squatting down to dig through the bag at his feet. Quickly pulling out the long piece of black fabric. Stepping just a bit closer to me, gently wrapping the scarf around my neck. Once, twice.

Having him this close reminded me of the dressing room. The way his eyes wandered my body. The way my eyes wandered his. I wanted to see him again. More this time...

I will my mind to quiet.

It was nothing. I've had plenty of people look at me the same way. Besides. I'm not his type. Just like he definitely not mine.

"How should I act here?"
I mumble to him as Chanhee waves us over.
"I'm an expert. No need to worry. If our side of the crowd claps. Clap with them. That's how everything else works, so."
I laugh, making him smile, his eyes scrunching up, as he does so. He was so... Cute.

"What did we miss?"
Seonghwa asks when we're close enough to Chanhee.
"Not much. Still warm up races."

I had to admit, I didn't know track would be so popular at this school. It was kind of an interesting sport to watch.

And oh how I was wrong thinking it would go fast.

Seonghwa's mouth falls agape when Chanhee sprints by, sending a small wave in our direction.

I raise my eyebrows at Seonghwa, watching him watch everything. Do I think he's actually interested? No. Was he adorable focusing on things? Yes.

"I'll be right back."
Chanhee says after apparently the first round, tilting his head in the direction of three haphazardly placed portta-potties.

We watch him jog off, and wait until he's out of ear shot.
"Okay, step-"
Seonghwa puts his hand over my mouth.
"Nope. Not ready. Not listening."
I wriggle my way out of his grip.
"Why~"

"I know you're on a time limit, but I'm not. Texting him is going well. I'm gonna ruin it."
I glare at him.
"No you will not.if anything -"

"Joong, no. I'm not ready yet."
He says, cutting my off. His voice firm. I shake my head. This wasn't about my time limit. It was more about the fact that...

"Chanhee isn't going to wait forever,"
I nod to him, laughing at a teammate, his hand rested on their thigh.
"I'm not gonna pressure you. But..."
Seonghwa's eyes fallow mine, he nods slowly.

I swipe open my phone a moment. Ignoring what was happening on the field.

I bring open the text thread from my dad. Adding a new one to the sea of green on the right.
"I hope you're okay"

I tap send.

I'm worried.

Worried beyond belief.

My neighbor says nothing's out of the ordinary. Everything was fine. It was fine. I was guilty. But I was annoyed. Why was I so worried when he never worried about me. It was unfair.

Chanhee jogs over after his set, giving his substitute.

A twinge of an unexpected feeling rolls over me when he smiles up to Seonghwa.

It wasn't joy.

A/N
Again, sorry for the short chapter. And I'm so sorry the lengths are always so different, I write until I feel like I shouldn't, y'know?