CHAPTER 6

Charlotte Smith was the daughter of Angelo's father's friend. She was in her initial year of working as a defiant lawyer who practiced in legal defense. Angelo had met her a few times at the gatherings when they were young. After many years, since his father had seen Charlotte at the house gathering, his Dad wanted him to get married as he'd turned thirty-three already. To stop his father's nagging, he agreed to meet her. 

"Our fathers won't shut up unless we get married, will they?" She smiled before taking a sip of her expresso. 

Angelo chuckled at her, sitting across from her at a round table. 

"So, do you usually come here?"

"Sometimes. . .just to loosen up."

He took a sip of his Oolong Tea, and its rich flavor didn't give him gustatory joy like it should have.

He looked back at her: she was a beautiful woman like a rare jewel and she was well aware of it. As she drank her espresso, her most distinguishable gray eyes appraised him if he was the appropriate man or not... certainly not for a date or a marriage. Those eyes didn't make his heart skip a beat as those golden brown replenished with emotions made his heart skip a beat. The thought of trying to compare them was imbecilic when the person was from his dream. But not anymore. 

Juan, the Coffee Shop manager, told Angelo about the guy: his name was Noah Edwards and used to work in the library and now taking a break from his busy life to write a novel and had decided to move to Manhattan. He'd been coming for a few days. Juan also told him that he seemed to be waiting for someone as whenever the doorbell chimed his eyes moved to the door. Was he waiting for him to confess his feelings? 

Angelo had received countless love confessions, from men and women in his life...and even he'd dated a few of them. But it was new for him to receive a marriage proposal from a guy whose thoughts he could hear. He got embarrassed immediately at his words When he grasped the fact that the woman wasn't Charlotte. it shouldn't be common information for him to know about his date with Charlotte. And from his thoughts, It wasn't a coincidence evidently.

Either he was good at acting or he was a devilish innocent guy who is fidgety as if the universe is being a bit much to him. Or is he just lame at his job?

A smile crept up on his lips.

"This date does not interest you, Angelo?" She stated  with a crooked smile, but didn't seem offended.

"I apologize." It was not his thing to let his mind drift back while attending to someone.

"No need to apologize when I am here for self-interest." She lower her head earnestly, putting a fringe of her dirty blond hair behind the ear. 

"So, you know, I have heard things from my father, the things you do, you have done, the way you do....you embrace the actions against the law to help people." Her words were not only of admiration but also condemnatory.

"You want my help?"

"He advised me to ask for your help-I have recently gotten a case," She said and paused. "If that's all right, I would like to tell you."

"Go ahead."

she took in a sharp breath before she spoke, 

"My clientele, Dorothea Garcia, a sweet old lady lived in premises owned by Jose Santiago. Mrs. Garcia and other tenants' apartments are rent controlled. And that Santiago has offered an unfair deal and wanted his tenants to give up their rent control. However, tenants have refused to give up their rent control. his men had threatened to take the deal or self-eviction."