46. Brothers Love

Start from the beginning

I walked out of the bathroom, a tad bit more composed than before, and go into my room. I see Benji on my bed, laying down and wrapped up in blankets.

I smiled and joined him on my bed, he was half- asleep. He perks up when he hears me say. "Hi Benj." He moves to face me and snuggled into me.

"Hey sis." He whispered. "Why is Owen so mad? They said you were at the hospital too....what's going on?" I hated the thought of lying to Benji, my sweet little brother, but I had no choice. He couldn't know, no one can know.

"Just grown up stuff." He sits up and pouts. "I am mature for my age," he insists. "And Owen and you aren't adults!" Benji made a compelling argument but I still shook my head.

"You are, Benj. I can't tell you. I wouldn't want to upset you." He frowns. "You couldn't upset me if you tried, sis!" That made me smile. And gave me an idea.

I sit up and hurriedly get off my bed; I exit my room, Benji hot on my trail. I went downstairs where all the boys were; Owen was holding his face in his hands, Hank holding him. Luke and Liam were discussing things together.

Xander just looked confused, his head resting on his knees.

"H-hey guys." I mumbled, they all looked at me. Benji grabbed my waist and held onto me like I was his lifeline.

In many ways, it was the other way around. He is my lifeline.

"Sweetie, how you doing?" Hank asked.

"Last night, I with someone; we were working on a project for school," I started, I needed to get something out. "Then someone tried to rob us and he- Elliott got shot." I swallowed hard.

"Why didn't you call me?" Hank asked the same Owen asked. "Why didn't you tell me about this, I would've came to protect you!" Owen shouted as he stood up.

"Elliott didn't hurt me, not this time. He saved my life, it's my fault he's in the hospital." Owen scoffed. "Why do you care?! He hurt you before and your here defending him!"

I crossed my arms. Although I don't and might not consider Elliott a friend, he saved me. And I am the reason he got shot.

"If I hadn't dropped my phone, the police would have been called sooner. They would've caught the guy. Elliott took the shot saving me. I know we don't like him, all for valid reasons, but I had to tell him I'm thankful."

Hank eyes narrowed. "What do you mean? Did you see him today?" I looked at my shoes and nodded. I could hear Owen's eye roll as he got toward me.

I thought be might yell again or, like last time let is emotions get the better of him and, slap me. I flinched and he immediately stopped.

"Carrie..." It was his turn to look away. "I wasn't going to hurt you." I swallowed hard. "Well what should she expect- you do have a tendency for hitting her when angry!" Before Liam could even finish the sentence, he was pushed into the wall by Owen.

"FUCK YOU, I NEVER MEANT TO HURT HER!" He sounded angry, of course, but above all else so sad.

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" The strength and volume of my voice surprised all of us but, after getting all of their attentions, I continued.

"Stop fighting and listen to what I have to say, please." Owen let go of Liam's shirt and started to the couch again.

"What happened yesterday was a random, awful situation that I stumbled into. I'm fine though," I lied, I'm no where near fine. "Well not fine, but not about yesterday. You know?" They all had confused looks on their faces.

"Well- I guess I'll just say it- I've been off the past month and I know you can all see it." At this point, I'm stalling.

"The thing is," I paused, looking at Hank for any help he'd give me. He gives me a little nod and I continue.