"Just keep doing what you're doing," Jennie said. "It helps."

He tipped his head. "Yes, ma'am."

"I'll see you tomorrow, then."

"See you."

Jennie limped out of the medical examiner's office building without a clue as to where she would go. The new lock had been installed on her apartment three days ago, but she still didn't feel comfortable going home. She wasn't afraid her attacker would come to her apartment, but she couldn't stand to be alone with her imagination.

Surrounded by the mundane artifacts of her newly single life, Jennie had spent the past two evenings sitting on her couch imagining what could have happened. Though she had escaped with only minor cuts and bruises, she mentally felt the pain of rape, the agony of strong hands wrapped around her throat, the terror of her blood pouring out onto the dirt. When she had nothing to do but think, the scene replayed itself incessantly, each nightmare scenario more horrifying than the last. All of them were probable outcomes had that wolf not shown up.

As Jennie walked into the parking lot, she pulled her spare car key from her spare purse and sighed. She wanted to feel safe again, to be the person she'd been before that man turned her life upside down. She wanted to be the woman who didn't think twice about walking alone in the park, but she wasn't that person anymore. And she hadn't felt secure since she left Lisa's apartment.

Jennie got into the driver's seat and started the car. She put her hand on the gearshift, then paused. Lisa. The only thing that could pull her mind away from the assault was the memory of the beautiful woman from the park. Jennie couldn't stop thinking about her. Not only her inexplicable attraction toward her, but also how being with Lisa had made everything seem better.

True to her word, Jennie had called Lisa's cell phone after she got home the night of the attack. Disappointed to get Lisa's voice mail, she'd left a brief message that she was all right and thanked Liss again for her kindness. Jennie had hoped to get a call back, but wasn't shocked when it never came. Surely a woman like Lisa led a full, busy life, with little time for socially awkward forensic pathologists.

Jennie had told herself she should forget Lisa and move on. But she'd also washed Lisa's shirt and placed it in the trunk of her car, just in case.

Every evening since then she thought about returning it, but until now, she hadn't been able to work up the courage. Lisa hadn't called back. That meant she wasn't interested in seeing Jennie again. And who could blame her? She was gorgeous, breathtaking. So Lisa had been kind when Jennie had needed help. What would she want with Jennie now?

Probably nothing. But who was Jennie to say? And she had promised to return Lisa's shirt.

Perhaps this was the perfect first step to regaining control over her life. Jennie would do something uncharacteristic and drop by Lisa's place to thank her again. If nothing else, she owed Lisa that, and maybe a chocolate cake.

Decision made, Jennie pulled out of the lot and headed for Lisa's apartment. It was possible she would make a complete fool of herself by showing up unannounced, but seeing Lisa again felt important in a way she didn't understand. The pull toward Lisa was even more powerful than her shyness around beautiful women.

In other words, it was damn overwhelming.

Here's to taking control, Jennie thought, and didn't look back.

***

The last thing Jennie expected to see when Lisa opened her front door was genuine, unabashed joy. Lisa's happiness to see her was palpable, making Jennie feel as though she was reuniting with an old friend instead of potentially disturbing a near stranger. Any doubts about dropping in on Lisa instantly vanished.