❧ six

Cars were flashing by. The radio was breaking the silence, along with the humming of the car while it drove on the highway. The sun was dropping, lowering to the horizon slowly. It remained its strength though and it shone brightly in my eyes, so I had to squint them to prevent getting blinded. I held my hand above my eyes for another precaution, resting my elbow on the window.

My eyes caught Royden's movement, noticing him running a hand over his head, through his hair. His hair flopped back on his forehead, but the strands were tangled, ruffled into a mess. The dark strands were a contrast to his somewhat paler skin yet his tanning lines were visible on his arms, right underneath the t-shirt he was wearing. He had ditched his jacket before we sat back in the car.

A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips. I dragged my teeth along my bottom lip, gently biting down on it. My heart thudded in my chest, pounding a little louder and a little faster at the sight. He looked damn attractive sitting behind the wheel.

I stared ahead of me for a moment as Royden changed lanes, speeding up to pass the car. He didn't slow down and even though I didn't mind the rush, I didn't want him to receive a ticket for speeding.

My eyes flickered back to him, but he was focused on the road. One hand was on the wheel, the other supported his head. He was alert yet relaxed. Sometimes his arm would flex and his tattoos seemed to come alive for a second.

The lightbulb. Something that looked like an eagle. The pistols. The scattered petals, which seemed to be from the rose on his hand. They all moved and they all attracted my attention yet my gaze lingered on the pistols.

Why would someone tattoo pistols, weapons on them? They're there forever...

My eyes flickered to my own wrist. A gentle book with its pages open was drawn into my skin. It was over a year ago I got it. Secretly of course, because my father couldn't know. Why I did it, was not clear and still to this day having an image inked on me seemed strange, something I wouldn't do. But I didn't regret getting this small book, inked into my skin, forever to be there.

Another car flashed by and I looked up. We seemed to be going much faster than what was permitted. My hands were clasped together and immediately my eyes squeezed closed in reflex, the sun shining in my eyes blindingly. I held my hand in front of my eyes again while looking at Royden, who was looking as casual as one could be.

"Aren't we going too fast?" I questioned. It had been so silent the past ten minutes, breaking the silence almost felt like breaking a spell we had been put in―uncomfortable and dangerous.

Royden glanced over at me. A smile grew on his lips. "What? You don't like it?"

"Well, not particularly this fast. Besides you must be getting a speeding ticket."

"Can't care less about it."

"But... but they're expensive." My eyes were wide in shock. I couldn't believe he didn't care about a speeding ticket. Those were more than I could ever afford. What was he doing to not care about it? "Besides I like to come home safe, in one piece, you know."

Royden glanced towards me once more. He held my eyes and nerves were erupting in my belly. He was focusing on me, not on the road. Something flickered in his eyes before he moved his head back to the road, slowing down the slightest bit.

"You will come home safe. Don't worry," he eventually said.

"Not by going so fast," I protested. "So slow down."

"Wave, relax! Live a little. Take a risk."

"Not a risk that might cost my life." I threw my hands up in defeat and even though he wore a smirk, clearly enjoying my discomfort, he slowed down to a more reasonable speed. We were still faster than most of the cars, but relief flooded through me when another car passed us.