6 : || Arrival In Hastinapur ||

Start from the beginning

"Greetings." Panchali uttered in her usual tone but both the King and the Queen smiled heartily and blessed her.

"Arjun, putra aayo yaha. Nav dampatti ka swagat ek saath kiya jata hai." Gandhari's call ranged confusion among the royals who arrived.

(Arjun, son come forward. The welcome of a couple is to be done together.)

They looked at each other while Panchali raised her eyebrows slightly, seeing their unawareness.

"Jiji, humne toh sandesh bhej waya tha." Kunti said, looking at Vidur and her sons.

(Sister-in-law, we did send letter.)

"Sandesh ? Kesa Sandesh Kunti ?" This time Dhritarastra asked, being confused that they hadn't receive any letter.

(Letter ? What letter ?)

"Jyest, vivah ka sandesh. Panchal se ek sandesh bhij waya gaya tha vivah ko ulekh kiye. Sandesh kya Hastinapur pe nhi pohche ?" Vidur clearly asked this time.

(Eldest, letter about the wedding. A letter regarding the wedding has been sent from Panchal. Hasn't the letter arrived in Hastinapur ?)

"Nhi Vidur. Hum tak toh kisi sandesh nhi pohchi." Dhritarastra asked. "Kyu ? Kya hua Vidur ?"

(No Vidur. We haven't received any letter. Why ? What happened, Vidur ?)

"Choriya yeh sab, Arya. Pehle nav dampati ki swagat karlete hai, phir sab baatein byat ke karenge." Gandhari interrupted their conversation. "Arjun, aage ayo putra."

(Leave these, husband. First let us welcome the new couple, then we can sit and talk. Arjun, come forward son.)

A smirk formed on the face of the new bride as her so called husbands looked at each other. A silent communication zipping through them, as they together came forward and stood beside Panchali, making her smirk fall and instead her jaw set hard.

"Ek sharn. Bhrata Arjun ko keval samne aane ke liye kaha gaya tha. Toh aapsab kyu aarahe ho ?" Panchali heard a familiar voice and looked at the direction only to find a confused face of Bhanumati. No, pregnant Bhanumati.

(One minute. Only Brother Arjun is asked to come forward. Why are you all coming ?)

It's not even a whole year that they have gotten married and now only pregnant ? Panchali thought being perplexed.

To Bhanumati's question, Yudhisthir turned towards Dhritarastra and announced. "Maharaj, keval Arjun hi nhi, hum pancho ne Rajkumari se vivah kiya hai."

(King, not only Arjun, but all five of us married the princess.)

Audible gasps left among the royals while Gandhari loosened her hold on the arti platter, but before it could fall, Panchali caught it immediately, as she was standing just infront of Gandhari.

Her action caught the attention of everyone. Gandhari and Kunti heaved a sigh of relief as Panchali caught the platter before it was going to fall, as this was considered as inauspicious.

Her gaze was straight on the lamp that was lighted. The fire again reminded her of something.

Her lips moved in a sync as she spoke, still looking at the lamp, "Kuruvansh ke panch Rajkumar bhale hi shadi mujhse ki hai lekin main kabhi unhe apna pati nhi manungi kyuki mere liye, yeh shadi sirf ek majboori hai, zabardasti bhi."

(Even though the five princes of Kuru clan have married me, I will never accept them as my husbands because for me, this marriage is only a necessitation, forced also.)

Saying so, she handed over the platter to Gandhari and turned around, marching away from the hall. Climbing down the stairs, she went towards the garden.