Serpensortia

۞

I always forget how cold it gets in Scotland in the winter and am brutally reminded every time. This winter was the coldest in a decade according to Atlanta's muggle newspaper and you could definitely tell.

The tension had become so thick around the school since Colin Creevey had been petrified you'd have trouble cutting it with an axe. Everyone was worried whether they would close the school.

"The black lake's frozen!" A excited first year sprinted past us and through the common room door.

"Guess I will be needing that jumper." Atlanta shivered as she pulled her jumper out of her bag.

"At this rate they'll cancel some of the classes." Luke said irritably.

"Not because of the cold." I mumbled gravely.

"Hopefully!" Will rubbed his hands together eagerly.

"No it's been colder than this." Adeline said as she flipped a page in her book.

"When? The ice age?" I scoffed.

"No," She put down her book and crossed her arms "50 years ago according to Atlanta's muggle news."

"Cool cool interesting stuff, can we go now? I'm freezing." Will moaned.

"Come on then—hey what's that on the notice board?"

We all peered at the notice board pinned up beside the common room door normally it just had Qudditch practice times or hogesmead visiting weekends for the third years but today there was something else.

"They're starting a duelling club!" Gia Castillo gushed behind us, Padme beside giggling.

"Duelling Club eh?" Will rubbed his chin as if there was some imaginary beard there.

"That's so cool!" Adeline beamed. "Who'd you think is running it?"

"Dumbledore?" Atlanta guessed.

"Please, the guy sits in his office all day staring at the wall." Will scoffed. "It'll be McGonagall for sure."

"You wanna do it?" Atlanta asked all of us.

"Sure." We all responded with a shrug and wrote our names.

The great hall was buzzing with excitement, the long dining tables had vanished and a golden stage had appeared along one wall, lit by thousands of candles floating overhead. The ceiling was velvety black once more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it.

There was a stage of velvety blue with a half moon in the centre.

"This will be good for us I think." I said, looking around.

"Why?" Atlanta questioned.

"It's not like we're learning how to defend ourselves in class is it? Not with Lockhart teaching us his preferred scents and lotions rather than actual lessons." I scoffed.

"You're so dramatic, Lockhart's great! He always...marks our tests properly." She said unsurely.

"Yeah well it's easy to mark tests when the questions are your favourite holiday destinations." I gave her a look.

"I swear if he's teaching I might just loose it." Luke said grumpily.

"If Lockhart's teaching us I'll jump off the astronomy tower." I said, my headache already forming.

"What's this about?" Penelope Clearwater came strutting towards us.

"Yay Penelope's here." I said to Atlanta with as much sarcasm as I could muster. She snickered as Penelope set her beady eyes on me.