Six || Damon

THREE MONTHS EARLIER

Rolling over to my side I blink my eyes open. It's too godamm early to do anything right now. I don't even have training or a lecture today but of course I wake up at five in the fucking morning.

Deciding to blame my coach he's always pestering us on getting to the school courts before the sun does. The earlier our practice the more time we have in the day to do what we please afterwards. That way we can still live our personal lives. I liked his train of thinking when I first got here but it hadn't dawned on me that I was underestimating the drills we would be doing. I'd go to training for three hours and come back to the dorm like a living mess. Every part of my body felt like it was on fire so I used to just spend my daytime in bed. Of course I'm used to it now though.

Flinching when I hear my phone ringing I rub my eyes before picking it up. 'Why are you awake?' I laugh under my breath.

'Because I knew you'd be awake,' I can practically hear Brylans smile through the screen. 'I've got work. I'm walking there.'

'At five? Is that safe?' I wonder why she'd go there so early in the morning.

'Five? It's like six, almost seven, over here.' She laughs. 'I get off pretty late though. Seven pm? Somewhere around that time. It's a long shift but it's very calm, I spend most of my time just sitting in the back on my phone or browsing some of the new books that come in. Apparently not a lot of people are interested in reading real books anymore,'

'That's relatively late...is someone picking you up?'

'Nope. It's just a twenty minute walk. If you're worried then call me and I'll talk to you the whole way,' she sighs. 'I'm almost certain I'm off at seven so if you call me, I'll pick up.'

'I'll promise I'll call you.' I'd rather sit on call and hear her ramble then stress that something will happen to her. She's a small girl so she wouldn't pack a lot of physical strength if she was up against someone bigger than her. 'Stay safe okay? When it's seven over there it'll be like six or five over here so it won't even be late for me.'

'Okay I'll wait for you call then. I'm almost there so I gotta go,' she hums. 'I love you,'

'I love you too,' I manage to respond before she ends the call.

Climbing off my bed I step out of my room into another living space. The kitchen. I'm able to have one in my apartment because I don't exactly live on campus. Mainly because I wanted a bigger space without having to deal with a roommate. Being on my own means I don't have to constantly be interacting with people around the clock. My social life is relatively active so I preferred the idea of having time to myself at the end of the day. I value my personal space. So I stay in an apartment which is less than a ten minute walk from the campus. The layout and distance is perfect. As if it was built with the intent of the UCLA students considering this place, and they did. Sometimes I'll see people that I've noticed on the campus in this buildings hallways. Including my own friends.