Chapter 30

HELLO

I am so so so sorry for literally disappearing off the earth's surface for a while, but I was trying to get myself back on track. It's going a little bit better and I've finally found some time to write.

So, let's keep this party going! This may actually be the final chapter before I write the epilogue for this story, and I just wanna say that Unforgiving World and Amaya have earned a huge spot in my heart. I, myself, adore this story and what I was able to do with it, because it made me grow a lot as a writer.

Again, a small warning!!! Amaya faces another set of brutal injuries. But don't worry, her ultimate badass personality makes an appearance ;)

Thank you for everyone who read this story and sticking around to the end, but we're not quite there yet. Enjoy this final battle! And... enjoy the slight angst ;)

-

"T-Tanjiro... what are you-" Amaya was at a loss for words. What was Tanjiro doing? He had cut her across her back, and now he's keeping her from reaching the demon? What is he thinking? Yukei laughed menacingly from behind the boy in question, floating over to Tanjiro's side and placing his large and cold hands on both of his shoulders. He leaned down to whisper in Tanjiro's ear, keeping his hard yet mocking gaze locked on Amaya's. "Go get her", whispered the demon, Tanjiro not even hesitating for a single second before breaking out into a sprint towards Amaya.

The girl visibly panicked, moving to stand up and run away or at least defend herself, but her own wounds betrayed her and forced her to fall back down in pain. She gasped as she felt the shift in pressure when Tanjiro swiped his sword to reach her neck, but the sound of metal clanging against metal made her eyes widen. Ichiro was clearly struggling, the literal hole in his chest limiting his movements and stamina.

But he'd be damned if he allowed Amaya to meet her end like this, he simply couldn't let that happen. He pushed back against Tanjiro with a groan, pushing the redhead further back and out of Amaya's reach. The demon among them raised his hand just as Tanjiro was about to run at Amaya again, the boy immediately stopping in his tracks and letting his shoulders relax.

Ah, so that's what's going on, huh? "That's a low trick, even for a filthy demon like you", croaked Ichiro angrily, ignoring his worsening injuries and standing tall. It was extremely dangerous for him to keep fighting in this condition, but Ichiro was still a hashira. He would rather die than leave fellow demon slayers to fend for themselves and he'd rather die than bring his hashira title to shame. He truly was a remarkable human being.

Yukei cockily clicked his tongue, shaking his head to taunt the weakened slayers. "Now now, no need to be so rude. I would never disrespect your own talents like that", spoke the demon, his voice blowing some more anger through Amaya's veins. She forced herself to stand up, refusing to acknowledge her own misery. "What have you done to him?" grumbled Amaya, her eyes narrowed into a sharp and hostile glare. Yukei sighed in dismay, dramatically gesturing towards Tanjiro's dazed form. "Isn't that obvious for your ignorant little head? I've made him my puppet!"

Amaya's eyes narrowed in on her newly achieved enemy, her hands shaking in pure disgust and anger. But instead of responding with a snarky comment like she always did, she chose to analyse the situation for now. Her eye switched between Tanjiro and the demon, trying her hardest to ignore the unfamiliar grey glaze over the boy's usually vibrant eyes. He was under Yukei's complete control, but how far would that go? Amaya wasn't so sure if she could actually hurt him, but how else would she be able to snap him out of his daze?

She didn't know and that worried her. Plus, she didn't know if Tanjiro's strength had any logical limits now. She'd seen him go all out, back when he wasn't even breathing in the entertainment district. If Yukei would manage to get him that far, she'd be done, for sure. So how would she work around that? Would he even be able to use his breathing style now? He just might, she couldn't possibly know that. She'd have to find out by allowing Tanjiro to come for her.