Chapter 20

-

With the Demon Slayer Headquarters in their sight, Amaya and Tanjiro slowed their pace to a steady walk. They'd been running for quite a while since they had wanted to get home ever since they'd properly woken up. Amaya wouldn't admit it, but she had missed Ichiro and she hated how she left their last conversation. She'd been so rude towards him, so she figured that he deserved a proper explanation, because he'd cared so much for her and showed her all the love he could possibly bare. He was the single role of a family member to Amaya and she was ready to acknowledge that.

So when Tanjiro and Amaya waltzed into the large Headquarters, they came to a sudden stop, realising that they'd have to separate their paths for the time being. Even if they knew they'd probably see each other again in the next few hours, it certainly would be a strange thing to be on their own again. Amaya swallowed before looking towards Tanjiro, who seemed to dread leaving her side. "So, I'll be going now. See you later", spoke Amaya shortly, nodding her head before turning away. Tanjiro inwardly sighed at her awkward choice of words, quickly grabbing a hold of her wrist to stop her from leaving just yet.

They stood like that for a while before Amaya turned to the boy with a frown, wondering why he wouldn't seem to let her go. "Tanjiro, you have to let me leave-" Amaya stopped herself from speaking as soon as Tanjiro tugged on her wrist, pulling her closer to him and wrapping his arms around her waist in an unexpected hug. Amaya tensed and left her own hands to hover above his back, unsure of what to make of this situation. She just allowed Tanjiro to have his moment, keeping the questions and wild blushes for later.

She felt his chest rise and fall as he sighed, making her avert her gaze to the side of his head, which was comfortably perched on her shoulder. "Thank you for opening up to me, Amaya. You don't know how happy that makes me", mumbled the boy into her clothing, taking Amaya by surprise. She huffed and frowned, 'reluctantly' placing her hands on Tanjiro's back and giving him a few short pats. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Figured it was due anytime soon now", grumbled Amaya, though her short sentence was enough to please Tanjiro. He gave her one final squeeze before releasing her completely, granting her one of his sunshine smiles before jogging off in the other direction.

Amaya watched him leave with an odd expression, thinking to herself how in the world one person could smile so brightly. Hearing a chuckle from her other side, Amaya washed her appreciative expression off her face and replaced it with her usual scowl, turning to face the woman that irritated her to bits. "Oh my, Amaya-san! Seems like you and the Kamado boy have been growing closer together! Shouldn't you be focussing on your missions instead?" giggled Shinobu, tilting her head as she closed her eyes in order to tease the younger girl.

Amaya clicked her tongue, marching off and purposefully bumping her shoulder with Shinobu's to accentuate her annoyance. "Shut it Shinobu, you don't know shit", grumbled Amaya, clearly pissed off at Shinobu's speculation of her not focussing on her missions. Amaya ignored the female's taunting chuckles, marching her way to the Star mansion without as much as a break. She needed to speak to Ichiro as soon as possible. She'd hate herself if she didn't. As soon as she reached her home, she opened the doors and walked inside, looking around for any sign of Ichiro. "Ichiro?" Amaya called out, hoping to hear him call back to her as well.

Luckily for her, he seemed to be close by. "Amaya? Are you home?" asked Ichiro, followed by a hurried pair of footsteps. He had been very worried about her after all, ever since she'd left for this mission. She told him that the mission would be close to her old hometown, so he'd been over-thinking it constantly, which is why he immediately reached out to Tanjiro and asked if he would follow her. To hear her voice and knowing that she's back unscathed was like a whole sack of bricks was lifted off his shoulders. He rounded the corner into the room where she stood, an elated smile painting his lips as he halted right next to her.