Chapter 13

Warning!

Most of you already know this from the movie, but there will be some mentions of suicide in this chapter. You have been warned!

-

"Star Breathing, second form; Everlasting Darkness", muttered Amaya to herself as she sneakily ducked under Tanjiro's arm, the demon as well as the boy gasping in surprise at Amaya's stealthy entrance. She sliced her blade upwards, stars flowing off it as she gave the demon an irritated glance. He only seemed to smile before narrowly dodging Amaya's blow, the girl only slicing at his arm instead. He outstretched his hand out in front of him, though it had a large mouth on top of it, Amaya frowning in confusion and slight disgust. Before the demon could actually make a move, a wave of water sliced through the demon's wrist, Tanjiro successfully fending off the attack. He grabbed Amaya by the back of her haori before jumping back to a safer distance, both demon slayers glaring at the demon.

He chuckled as he stared at his severed hand with slight amazement, though it didn't take long before it had regenerated just as quick, his crazed eyes landing on the two teenagers in front of him. "Oh my, another one woke up? Good morning, dear! How did you like your dream?" spoke the demon, an irk mark appearing on the side of Amaya's head as she realized what this demon was getting at. She refused to speak, Tanjiro deciding on the same thing as they both waited for a next move. The demon shrugged his shoulders, his hands outstretched on either side of him as he smiled at the duo. "Like I said to the boy with hanafuda earrings, you should be glad that I showed you a nice dream. You had everything your heart desired, didn't you? If you'd prefer, I could show you a dream where your family dies again instead?" 

Amaya heaved a sharp breath as her muscles tensed, that all too familiar anger settling into the depths of her being. Veins appeared on her forehead out of frustration, her hold on her blade tightening as she glared daggers at the demon. "What the hell did you just say?" growled Amaya lowly, while the demon only laughed, waving his hand in front of him as the other came up to tap over his blushing cheeks. "My my, you sure are scary. Maybe you would have preferred to see that massacre again!" exclaimed the demon, while Amaya grit her teeth in response. Tanjiro glanced at her from the corner of his eyes, smelling the pure rage rolling off her in aggressive waves. He had to agree with the demon on this one, she really was scary when she was at her angriest. Though Tanjiro understood, it pissed him off to no end as well.

This demon obviously adored toying with his victims by showing them a nice dream, only to turn it into their worst nightmare. It was sickening to him, the way he was speaking to Amaya only made it worse, but he still chose to place a hand on her shoulder, feeling the way her muscles were so incredibly tense. "Don't listen to him, Amaya. He's trying to provoke you, he did the same to me", informed Tanjiro, though it didn't seem to calm Amaya down. Tanjiro noticed, so he averted his gaze back to the demon, his glare deepening as he too placed his hand on the handle of his sword. He never knew what happened to Amaya's family, since she had refused to ever speak upon the situation, but with what this demon had said, it was clear that Amaya's history was disturbingly similar to his. 

It was unfair to have this secret, this burden unraveled without Amaya's free will, but that only angered them more. Amaya pulled her nichirin blade out of its sheath, her eyes deadly and serious as she spun her blade around. "If you ever even dare to intrude on my soul or my mind ever again, I'll be sure to make you suffer before you die. Don't speak of my family so casually, you pest", threatened Amaya lowly, unknowingly sending shivers down Tanjiro's spine. Before the boy could actually make a move, Amaya had already moved past him, reappearing in front of the demon's face who had yet to realize what was happening. 'Star breathing, first form; Dazzling Galaxy', chanted the girl in her head as stars shone off her nightshade sword.