Prologue

The turn of the new century was the end of the 5th war. The first inter-galactic was ended by the rulers of the moon, Mars, and Earth. Radiation and suffocation was a common effect of the many bombs, drones, and space shuttles that flew by. Men were vomiting, having nightmares, and PTSD became as common as a cold. Women however inhaled these fumes and were fine until they decided to give birth. Some were able to have normal children others weren't so happy. Scared even.

Sphericals was the respectful name for these "creatures" that were born from these women. All of them were 7lbs and 5oz and were orbs with straw like straw like texture. It had a hole on it's side to breath and a faint but definite heartbeat. Unfortunately, a woman who does give life to this creatures will die within the week of it born. That was how it was for 25 years and soon they had beared the name "inedible fruit".

"The reason why," as spoken from the Earth's president, "is that the overwhelming chemicals of the war have spread to our women. Their reproductive systems are confused and reconfigured. The result is something that is inhumane and unworthy of life for it takes it away from the women who give it to them."

After that speech they had a way to stop the deaths of women who bore the "child". As a reasonable response the mothers wanted to take care of the children now that they were able to do so. But the presidents refused and said that now they fixed the major problem that they'll deal with the trivial job of getting rid of these monsters.

"They aren't monsters!"

"These are children too!"

"We hear the heartbeat, They don't have to leave!"

That chant was soon forgotten for they took all the ladies who rebelled and retaliated to mental homes or prison. All of the women who tried to hide were killed on the spot. Including my mom. With the help of my dad they hid my twin sister and I for 10 years. They figured out we ate with the same hole we breathed in and had another smaller hole to relieve ourselves. We were happy until the night of the 40th anniversary of the war's end. We were found out. We couldn't see them being killed but we heard her screams from the inside of our shells.

Shocked and confused we tried rolling away but they caught us before we got very far. I heard my dad go into another one of his mental rages again. However, this one was worse than the  others because of what he just saw. My mother was the only person who kept him stable enough to have a normal life. Now that she's gone there's no reason to. Then I heard another shot from the hunter's gun.

We were taken away to their lab. Since their were so many of us it took them eight years to get to us. Eight years of the screaming and the groans of death that normal people couldn't hear but the sphericals could.

We were now 18 and scared for life. When we were chosen we didn't care. We were more so hungry than fearful. The walk was long and deafening. Every step that they took echoed through the halls. When we finally got there they were throwing away the last two children they had experimented on before we got there. I couldn't move. The smell of blood was terrifying. To think that they touch their own children with the same hands. Murderers. They were all murderers.

My sister was chosen first to be killed. They had set her up on the experimenting table and punctured her with the scalpel. Then the knife was pushed back from the scientist hands. They all thought that she was clumsy and wasn't focused so she did it again in another area. It was pushed back out again. But this time water was dripping for the hole that it made. Her orb was expanding as if it were being filled with water and suddenly burst. The scientist ran for the door but were swept away for the mysteriously flooding water coming from my sister.

She managed to fill the entire room drowning them in the process. I was about to drown as well. Yet there was something swimming by me. By the feeling of it the figure was swimming towards the door. It opened it and let all the water drain.

After most of water was gone I was coughing up water and saliva. Then the figure walked past and grabbed something from off the table. It was the scalpel. I started to roll away but the figure stopped me before I could reach the door. It put the scalpel into my orb but then it popped back out just like it did with the scientist.

"Put your hand through the hole" a girl said. I was confused and the figure who was holding me was on the floor so I guess it was safe. I slowly detached my hand from the orb. It felt weird because I now have feeling in places I never thought I had. I reached my hand through and tore my orb. I released my other hand from the residue on the inside kept tearing until you say a physical human body.

I shakily stood up and looked in the mirror on the other side. I looked at myself in disbelief. I looked human despite the patches of orb skin on me. I was confused but happy. I was a little girl but 18 at the same time. Then I thought it would be weird if I went outside like this.

"Hey supermodel. Done looking at yourself yet?" said the same voice from before. I turned to the voice speaking to me and saw that we looked the same. It was my sister. She looked human too.