Chapter SixtyEight

Mulai dari awal

Its eerie being home by myself, especially after the news we've just received. It feels like Wyonna has already passed and we're already grieving. Its a strange feeling, one I hadn't expected.

I consider calling Sarah to keep me company since Harley is in no state and mum had told me she was going on a lunch date today. But I decide not to. If Hex comes home, he's not going to want anyone around, especially if he comes home upset.

I can't help but feel slightly angry. I know he has problems communicating and prefers to run away from them but I'm his Darling, he should feel comfortable confiding in me instead of leaving me wondering where he is and if he's safe as I wait at home like a military wife for him to walk through the door or for the call saying he's been arrested.

But then I feel guilty for making it about my feelings when his mother is on her deathbed.

"C'mon Teddy, I need a cuddle" I mumble and pick him up, walking us both to the lounge room to await Hex's arrival.

*

I wake in the dark. It makes my heart pound in fear and I reach over to turn the lamp on. Teddy meows, he had remained curled up beside me on the couch the entire time.

I hadn't planned on going to sleep but the lack there of last night must have been effecting me more than I had thought.

My eyes catch the front windows that show the outside; it makes my skin crawl imagining someone on the other side, looking in.

"Sorry Ted" I softly push him out of the way and even though I feel bad, the fear overrides it.

I breathe a sigh of relief when I pull the curtains closed and look to the clock.

Its 10pm.

I rush over to my phone that I had placed on the coffee table and see no missed calls nor texts.

My fingers move quickly as I pull up Hex's contact and press call but my anger grows when he lets it ring out.

I bite my bottom lip as I think about what to do for a moment but ultimately decide fuck it.

"I'll be back, Teddy" I gather my phone and car keys, give Teddy a pat and then walk out the front door.

I ignore the nagging in the back of my mind, warning me of the dangers of being out at night, especially when Ace Pollar is running around somewhere.

My eyes move right and left, looking for anything that lurks in the shadows, listening for any noise.

Everyones cars are in their respected parks, except for Hex's, its still empty.

Usually I'm getting ready for bed at this hour but I just spent the majority of the day sleeping and there's no way I'll be going back to sleep anytime soon, especially without knowing where Hex is.

I lock the doors as soon as I get in my car and check the backseats, it allows me to relax a little.

I have no idea where to start and I regret not asking Hex to share his location with me before he left.

I start on my way to Harley's house, hoping I'll find Hex there.

But when I drive by, his car isn't out the front and their lights are off inside, indicating that Harley and Banks are in bed and probably have no idea where Hex is either.

I have no where else to check, besides the hospice. Its closed at this hour and I have no doubt Wyonna is asleep but I start driving in the direction on the off chance he's sitting in the carpark or maybe they let him in.

But once again his car isn't there.

I don't know where else to go and I find myself driving through town, looking through the windows of stores as I drive past but a lot of them are closed and the ones that are open are mostly empty.

A lightbulb goes off in my head; maybe he's at Clyde's house. But I have no idea where Clyde lives; I don't think Hex even knows where Clyde lives. So, instead I go to the mechanic shop but everything is locked up, the front fence closed with a big chain and lock.

"Fucking hell, Hex" I mumble under my breath, my voice shakes as I breathe out.

This street gives me the creeps as I remember seeing Ace walk along the same street only a short time ago.

I've driven everywhere in town, past everywhere I thought Hex would be and have still come up empty handed.

My heart sinks as it races when a lightbulb goes off in my mind and I'm immediately overwhelmed with a feeling of nausea. If Hex isn't in town anywhere then there's only one other place he can be.

Eastside.