Chapter SixtySeven

"How long do you think she's got?" Harley asks tearfully. She can barely breathe between words and I wonder how long before she passes out.

I draw in a shaky breath and intertwine my hands together to stop them from shaking as my legs turn to jelly.

Hex is tense by my side. He's not looking at any of us and instead is looking out the window, hiding his face from everyone and giving the back of his head instead.

Wyonna's doctor by the name of Dr. Murphy had called Harley early this morning with concerns for Wyonna. Harley had called us just as the sun was breaking the skyline. We had only got a couple hours of sleep after Hex had come inside from the freezing cold, his cigarette not helping him sleep at all.

You could definitely tell that he hadn't slept and not only that, he hadn't eaten today either. He had turned a ghostly white when Harley called him and I was worried about him being sick or passing out but he was only silent as we got into the car and drove to the hospice.

"Based on Ms. Rose's current condition and the rate at which shes's declining -" the doctor sighs and I feel my heart sink "- I'd say no more than a month." I have to place my hand over my mouth as I jerk in place and bile rises up my throat.

Harley audibly chokes on a sob and smothers it with her palm. Hex drops his head into his hands as he rests them on his knees. I want to reach out and comfort him but I can't bring my hand from my mouth without the fear of being sick. It feels like the blood had left my body and the saliva had left my mouth.

I look over at Wyonna as she lies on her bed, hooked up to various wires as she sleeps. Her face is gaunt and her cheeks are hollow, the weight loss making her look like a lady twice her age.

"Is there anything we can do?" Harley finally releases her emotions and doesn't hold back her sobs as she cries into her hands. "I can't lose her yet, I'm not ready" she weeps. I hadn't noticed my own eyes welling until tears are already falling down my cheeks and tickling my skin.

Hex is deathly quiet. His leg shakes as he continues holding his head in his hands and his palms sink into his eye sockets. I can see the hairs on the back of his neck stick to his skin as he sweats.

Dr. Murphy can only offer a sympathetic glance, he must see this every day and I wonder if he ever gets used to breaking bad news to family members. He seems somewhat numb to the sadness.

"Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do besides make her as pain free and comfortable as possible." Dr. Murphy isn't doing anything wrong but the more he talks, the more I want to tell him to shut up as I see Hex tensing with every word that leaves his mouth.

My stomach stirs further and I have the sudden urge to run out of the room.

Harley cries harder, her body shaking.

The door bounces open and hits the wall as Banks appears. He hadn't been allowed in the room because he's not family and the only reason I'm allowed in is because I'm Hex's wife but it seems nobody cares now that he's inside. He must have felt her overwhelming emotions from outside and couldn't sit and let her feel it by herself anymore.

I know Hex would do the same for me.

I'm unable to move, even when Banks' shoulder brushes mine as he takes Harley's seat and pulls her onto his lap.

My limbs feel like jelly and I'm scared if I move I'll fall out of my chair.

"I want to go home" Harley whimpers as her hands cover her mouth. Banks says nothing but stands and leads her out of the room. She can't even bring herself to glance at Wyonna as she leaves.