Chapter Seven

Hex left for work before I woke this morning. I felt the briefest of kisses being pressed to my forehead and it eventually woke me but by the time I had opened my eyes the front door had clicked closed.

I lie in bed for a while thinking about last night; or early this morning. I still don't know what time it was but it doesn't really matter.

Hex had fallen asleep quickly after lying on me as the residue of his tears sat on my skin. I wish he would have taken today off, there's no doubt that he's over-worked and I think Clyde would have let him. It had taken me longer to fall back asleep though, the sight of a distraught Hex standing in the bathroom had kept me awake for hours. I hadn't ever seen him like that before. So emotional, so upset and so confused on what to do next. Whatever Harley had said to him had really messed him up and I knew it couldn't have just been a normal conversation about Wyonna.

I roll out of bed and crawl into the shower, hoping to wake myself up with the intention of talking to Harley on my mind.

"Good morning" I jump as mum enters the kitchen, I hadn't heard her door open or her feet walking towards me. "Did I scare you? Sorry, honey" she places a kiss on my cheek before beginning to make a coffee for herself.

"Morning mum" I reply back, my voice still thick with sleep. It was noticeable that I hadn't got much sleep last night, my red eyes and constant yawning is proof of that and mum picks up on it immediately, like only a mother can.

"You okay, honey?" She asks as I take a seat at the kitchen island and start to eat my breakfast while she leans against the kitchen counter and sips her coffee. She's still dressed in her pyjamas and hadn't brushed her hair yet, something she would have never done while living with dad.

"Yeah, just didn't get a lot of sleep last night" I explain as I rub my hands over my tired eyes as they sting. The toast that I'm eating is hard to swallow and makes my stomach roll slightly but I know I'll struggle at work if I don't eat.

Mum doesn't answer me and when I pull my hands from my eyes the look of concern on her face surprises me.

"I heard Hex last night" she states. Her concern makes sense all of a sudden. "Is he alright?" She asks and takes another sip of coffee, blowing over the rim of the mug to cool the liquid.

"Yeah" I reply quietly as I look down at my plate. "He's having a hard time coming to terms with Wyonna being sick" I explain and look at mum again. I see the sadness in her eyes for Hex, and I have no doubt mine reflexs hers. "I don't know how to help him" I whisper helplessly because I know that if I talk too loud my voice will break.

"There's not much you can do for him, honey" mum pushes off the counter and leans on the other side of the island to look me in the eye. "Just make sure he knows you're there for him and everything will work out the way it's meant to" she makes her way around the island. "You can't change what's written in the book" she gives me a hug of comfort, it does little to make me feel better.

*

"Hey, what did you talk to Hex about last night?" I question Harley as Sarah goes out the back to grab extra beverages that we had run out of at the bar. I had been waiting all morning to finally have a word with Harley one on one without Sarah around or any customers and the opportunity had finally presented itself.

Harley turns to look at me, first with a blank stare and then it slowly turns to confusion. "Hex?" She questions to which I nod, urging her to tell me. "He didn't call me last night" she says as she places a glass down and faces me, turning her full attention to me.

My mouth opens like I'm going to say something but nothing comes out.

"He said he called me?" Harley questions for clarification. I nod again, the words stuck in my throat. Why would he lie to me? "What time?"