everytime we touch

Ao3: spacemanearthgirl

Summary:
Based on this ask: "Ok so imagine if the halo responds to Ava's emotions, and when Beatrice holds her she tries to play it cool but the halo just starts glowing brightly."

Or Ava finds it really hard to hide how she feels about Beatrice.

-

Ava is screwed. Totally, completely, one hundred percent screwed. And why is she screwed, you may ask? Oh, just the little fact that she's definitely falling in love with Beatrice.

And why is that bad?

One, Ava is a nun which means that absolutely nothing can happen between them, Beatrice has taken her vows, and Ava respects that.

That's not the main issue though, the second reason she's screwed, and the one that's going to get her in trouble, is that despite her best to control it, the halo is starting to glow whenever she's around Beatrice, and it's really fucking embarrassing.

She's come to terms with the first part, she's a little sad about it, but despite all the shit she's been through since she first came back to life, she's the happiest she's ever been when she's with Beatrice, and if they'll only ever be friends, then Ava can accept that.

(Okay, maybe she hasn't quite accepted it, but she's trying).

The second part though, there's not a lot Ava can do when all it takes is one smile from Beatrice for butterflies to erupt in her stomach, one small touch, or even one amused eye roll, for the halo to start pulsing in her back and Ava desperately trying to calm down so the halo doesn't glow too brightly and give her away.

At least after the first time it happened, no demons appeared, so she doesn't have that part to worry about, or else they'd all be screwed.

It gets even worst after Adriel gets free and then it's just the two of them in Switzerland and there's not a lot to distract Ava from her still growing feelings.

It doesn't take much, like Ava said, for the halo to react now when she's around Beatrice. Which isn't ideal, because again, she doesn't want to give her feelings away, but she also doesn't want to give them away, they are meant to be hiding, after all.

And it certainly doesn't help when Ava walks into their room, to find Beatrice wearing a button-down shirt, a far cry from her usual outfits.

It's stupidly cute and Ava feels the halo pulse at her back as warm affection floods her chest.

Beatrice notices too, instantly on alert.

At least she just notices the glowing part, she's pretty sure Beatrice hasn't noticed the feelings part yet, which is hard enough to hide without the giveaway on her back. She knows she stares sometimes, knows she smiles too wide, knows that some of the other people in the bar have already noticed too.

"Ava," Beatrice says, voice low, looking for a weapon and an escape and no doubt calculating every possible thing that she thinks is about to happen.

"It's fine," Ava says, hands instantly falling to Beatrice's arms, sees how the touch immediately calms her. Though, she still looks worried.

Maybe they should be worried, maybe one day this'll be the reason that demons find them, the reason Adriel finds the halo, because Ava just can't control her feelings because Beatrice is just too pretty.

"No demons, see? It's just...been doing that recently, maybe something to do with Adriel?"

"I should contact Mother Superion, see if she knows what's happening or if anything has changed."