you like pain (but only if it doesn't hurt too much)

Credit to nanialbee9 on Ao3

Summary: Ava heals quickly, thanks to the power of the Halo. But, does she really?

-

"Why do we have to climb a mountain?"

It's been three weeks since the incident in the Vatican, and Ava's petulant whine reflects the general mood. They've been betrayed by the closest thing to a spiritual guide they had, everything they fought for turned out to be a farce, they detonated explosives in the Holy See, both the traitor and the false idol escaped (presumably), they don't know the fate of Mother Supirion, and they are all exhausted and injured. Not Ava, though. She'd healed a couple of days after the Vatican, the Halo had been depleted by the end of the fight and had no energy left to heal a badly injured and drained Halo Bearer. And even though the whine is on par with the youngest of their little group, the lethargy and lazy energy is not.

"It's hardly a hike, Ava. We just need to keep to paths that are as far away from main roads and clusters of people as possible." It's really not that big of a climb. In normal circumstances not one of them would find it challenging, least of all Ava, so eager to just be able to walk. But these are not normal circumstance they find themselves in. Their latest escape vehicle had died on them that morning, so they decided to walk the rest of the way to a safe place. Choosing not to call attention by borrowing another transport. They've been walking for about two hours along an admittedly intimidating cliff that borders the sea below. Deciding early on their retreat to travel south of Italy, instead of the more predictable escape rout of going north, hoping to gain some time.

Beatrice eyes Ava after speaking. The Halo Bearer has been uncharacteristically quiet since they started going up the hill. She's been keeping to the less stable part of the path, furthest from the cliff and her earlier complaint the first she's spoken. It's concerning and Beatrice knows all of them would be more willing to confront Ava if there wasn't the pressing need to find shelter before nightfall.

She's hoping for a couple of days, so they can rest properly and evaluate their options. It was Camila, oddly enough, who chimed with the proposed safe house when Beatrice suggested maybe they should escape by going to the southernmost point and try to sail their way out of Italy from there, where hopefully no one would expect them to go. They know little about their destination, trusting Camila to take them to safety. Still, they are wary, they've been hopping from safe house to safe house since their escape. The first, a place Lilith's family owns but rarely visit anymore, was their longest refuge, five days of treating and healing the most pressing injuries. Since, they have stayed just the night in out-of-the-way hostels and with some of Mary's acquaintances, they've even camped a couple of times, not wanting to stall in their journey.

"It's not that far now, Ava." Camila consoles, but she's reassuring all of them. Her voice kind and soft, but lacking her usual chirpiness. They're all shaken by the latest events. Not to say there has not been some moments of levity: in Lilith's place they changed clothes and were all in a fit of giggles when Beatrice discovered her chosen outfit belonged mostly to Lilith's grandmother. There, they also cleaned and repaired as best they could their warrior gear, which each is carrying in their respective bags, the sword -Ava's sword- resting in the same duffle as Mary's shotguns and Camila's crossbow. Beatrice is carrying her knives, Camila's disguising her staff as a trekking pole, Mary has a concealed gun, Ava has her small knife and Lilith... well, Lilith's not carrying any weapon, but she can transform her hands into claws, so there's that.

Both Lilith and Ava grunt a response at the same time, it would be hilarious but Beatrice only manages a small quirk of her lips. And then it happens...

Ava twists a little to look at Lilith and trips, she's in no actual danger of falling off the cliff, of course, but the strangled, panicked gasping sound that comes out of her is upsetting. They all stop in protective stances, but it's Mary who's closest to Ava and offers a hand... to which Ava flinches. It's heartbreaking to see that reaction, because Beatrice knows for a fact that Ava adores Mary, looks up to her. And the horrified look on Mary's face is devastating. Where Ava looks confused by her own response, Mary looks like she understands, like just now she figured out. And if Beatrice didn't know better, she'd say Mary looks close to tears. "Ava", is more a whisper than speech what leaves Mary's lungs, but they all hear it, and the Halo Bearer just looks so lost.

Lilith picks Ava up and plants her on her feet then, shaking them out of the stunned moment, and starts them moving again. "Are you hurt?", Ava shakes her head, "Good, let's keep going the sun is starting to set." She nudges Camila a little to lead the way, and their guide takes Ava's hand to pull her with them at the front, while Beatrice rest a supportive hand on Mary's arm, and they take the rear. All of this in silence. Five minutes later they can see the cottage-like house just down the hill. The trek is now down, but it's starting to feel like a climb.