Monami is slightly surprised: “ Aapke kehne ka matlab hain ki Saurav sirf ek puppet hain? Uske crime ko instigate karne wala koi aur h? Koi aur hain jo behind the scene work kar raha tha?” She looks at the folders on his study desk: “One of your cases in the US?"

Karan shakes his head: “Nahi. Saurav ki mental condition hereditary ho sakti h but ek hi raat me aisa hona namumkin h. His abnormal behaviour was consistent with his troubled upbringing. Besides, jab first murder hua tha tab Main America me tha. Darjeeling me rehna... Mera ain moment par liya faisla tha.. jo ki India aane k baad maine decide Kiya. Therefore his crime was not done to provoke me."

 Monami nods and looks at his stern face.  He suddenly returned to India.  Must be something to do with that serious illness of his. 

Karan continues: “Introverts akele kaam karna prefer karte hain aur Saurav ka crime ek aisa hi personal Character display krta h. Koi bhi evidence nahi hain  jo yeh suggest kare ki Saurav ka koi accomplice tha."  He looks at Monami, “It’s impossible that someone was controlling his actions all those times. "

"Saurav was solely responsible for the killing machine case.  There is no doubt about it." Karan concludes: "Par koi aur.. koi aur crime scene par gaya aur usne mere liye message left kiya."

Karan has taken out a few photos from the files. Monami takes a look at them. It’s a caucasian in his 20s. In the photo, he is wearing a white T Shirt.  He is an attractive man with blue eyes.

Suddenly Karan speaks in a way that is very different from how he speaks normally:

"Hi, Simon. Mujhe dare lag raha hain.

 Hi, Simon.  Come get me.

Hi, Simon.  Kya tum aaj mera dinner banoge?"

He is imitating someone else. She looks at the pictures again: “Kya isne tumhare liye yeh signals leave kiye hai ? Has he come to India?”

- Is this the reason he left America? To return to India? The Flower Cannibal from California?

Karan puts all the documents and the photos back into the box: “Yeh.. yeh Pelican Bay prison me life sentence serve kar raha hain abhi. It’s impossible for him to be here.."

Monami knows there has to be a connection somewhere. Or else, Karan would not have rushed in here and start going through the files.

Then, phir yeh kon ho sakta hain?”  Monami asks.

I don’t know."

They both stand there for a while.  Suddenly, he turns around and puts his hands on either side of her shoulders. He turns her around and starts pushing her gently towards the door.

"Karan ......" Monami knows he does not want to discuss any further, but she is concerned for him.

He pushes her all the way to the front entrance. He turns the knob of the front door and opens it. One more gentle push and she will be outside of his apartment.  

Monami turns to looks at him.

He stands with a reassuring smile on his face. Then he looks straight into her eyes. His deep voice sounds like soothing water: ‘ Monami. I am fine.  Don’t worry. Goodbye.”  He gives her one final nudge.

Then he closes the door.

******

Monami can’t sleep.  She tosses and turns for the rest of the night.