The Wedding Singer (Reiner x Bertholdt) pt. 1

Reiner should be happy. He's getting married today.

He stood at the alter, feeling empty. It felt like the walls were closing in on him.

As the last of the bridesmaids made their way to their place at the alter, the doors closed.

"Now will everyone please rise" the officiant  said.

The music started and the doors opened.

Reiner put on his best fake smile.

********************************************
Bertholdt finished tuning his guitar, as he and his band got ready for the reception.

Bertholdt hated working weddings. They reminded him he was alone. It's been nearly 9 months since his girlfriend Annie had broken up with him.

He remembered when he told her he was bisexual. Something he had known since his Junior year of high school, but had tried to fight it. When he was in high school, it just wasn't something you told people.

Annie was very supportive. What ended their 2 year relationship was Annie taking a job across the country, and them both realizing that they just were not in the same page anymore.

"Alright, the guests are starting to make their way here" the wedding planner's assistant called out.

Bertholdt shook off the negative thoughts and got ready for another gig.

******************************************
"Ladies and Gentlemen it is my pleasure to introduce Mr. and Mrs. Braun."

With the same fake smile, Reiner and Historia walked into the reception venue as people clapped and the photographer was snapping away.

Historia was glowing, her blue eyes sparkling. Reiner loved Historia, they had know each other for so long.

They met in high school, they were best friends, and ended up going to the same University.

It just seemed like it was the right thing to do when they started dating. As his senior year had come to a close, he had been heavily pressured by his mom and and his now father-in-law to marry Historia.

Which led him here.

"Guess this is my life now" he thought.

****************************************
"Alright ladies and gentlemen we are going to take a 30 minute break" Bertholdt said into the mic.

Bertholdt made his way to the open bar and ordered a beer.

"Man I knew the Reiss family was loaded but this sh*t is fancy" his drummer came up behind him.

"Well he's a state senator so that makes sense" Bertholdt said grabbing his drink. "I'm heading outside for some air, remember Thomas we have a one drink maximum"

"Yes sir boss man"

Bertholdt made his way outside of the venue through the back, towards the patio/deck area that over looked the lake.

The spring air was warm but had a slight breeze that made it feel like he was at the beach.

The patio was empty, except for one person.

Bertholdt spotted the groom leaning against the railing, staring out.

"You're missing your own party" Bertholdt joked as he approached the groom.

He jumped a bit nearly dropping his drink.

"Reiner right?"

"Yeah, and your..."

"Bertholdt Hoover, the wedding singer" he said with a laugh. "Except I don't get Drew Barrymore in the end"

"Drew Barrymore's overrated"

"Yeah not quite my type"

"Most women aren't my type" Reiner mumbled. "Sh*t I shouldn't have said"

"You seem upset...most people are happy on their wedding day"

"It's hard to explain. Don't get me wrong Historia is wonderful, beautiful, smart, kind. Any man would be lucky to have her."

"You don't seem like your that guy" Bertholdt took a swig of his beer.

"Do you feel like you're only doing something because that what's expect of you?"

"Yeah, my dream is to make it big with my band, but I'm in my last semester of nursing school, gotta have a steady job" Bertholdt said. "But gotta make money I guess, and I do like helping people."

"Is that your band in there?" Reiner nodding towards the inside.

"Just the drummer, my bassist...move out to  Seattle, she was my girlfriend"

Reiner cocked and eye brow, "was?"

"Poor timing, wanting different things in life, she made it clear that music wasn't a focus for her, wanted to build her career" Bertholdt let out a sigh. "So she took an accounting job in Seattle".

"So weddings must be a blast for you" Reiner said with a laugh.

"Yeah it's fun being reminded I'm alone, but I usually get free food, and booze, plus it's extra money"

"Surprised they let you drink on the job"

"We have one drink maximum policy so bottoms up" he took another drink. "So what's the deal, you seem to like your bride, you speak very highly of her"

"Let's just say...I'm not right for any girl out there...no matter how hard I try"

It finally clicked in Bertholdt's mind what Reiner was trying to say.

"So why not be honest? It's not very fair to anyone involved to hide your true self"

"Her dad is a state senator, he wasn't happy with the guy her sister married, but the ideas of the "'all America boy" marrying his youngest, looks good for the Reiss family, plus my mom really wants grandkids. So I guess I just put on a smile, and wait for one of us to die" Reiner said with a small smile. "So besides then typical wedding playlist, what kind of music does your band play?"

"Alternative rock, but I dabble a bit in blues and jazz sometimes, been playing guitar since I was a kid...we are called Devil Fruit" Bertholdt said. "You can find us on Instagram and Facebook"

"Devil Fruit?"

"Yeah I'm a big One Piece fan"

"What's that?"

"One of the longest running anime's ever" Bertholdt laughed. "Would highly recommend it"

Reiner was about to speak when the wedding planner came out side. "There you are Reiner, it's about time to cut the cake"

"Well it was nice meeting you Bert, maybe I'll catch a show sometime"

"Hope so"

Reiner followed the wedding planner back inside.

Bertholdt checked his watch. He let out a deep sigh.

"To grinning and bearing it" he said to no one, finishing off his beer.