Enemies to Friends (Part 2)

Reiner sat at his kitchen table that evening working on an English paper on Angela's Ashes. It had been relative quite, but he knew that would change soon.

He heard the car pull in, and  car door slam. Next thing he knew Gabi was storming into the kitchen, her mom not too far behind.

"Gabi please can we just talk about this" her mother pleaded.

"No, I don't need a stupid shrink anyways, what do you think I'm crazy" she snapped.

Reiner looked up from his laptop.

"Gabrielle Mia Braun, you don't talk to me like that" her mom's voice said sternly. "Your teachers have notice you've been acting out a bit more at school and your grades are slipping, this is why I take you to counseling, you have to learn how to cope with Dad being gone"

Mrs. Braun looked at Reiner begging for backup.

"Gabi she's right, counseling helped me deal with my own issues about my dad and with Uncle Joe passing, no one thinks your crazy" Reiner said hoping to keep the peace.

"What would you know?" Gabi spat back at Reiner. "My dad is dead, yours just didn't want you"

Reiner was taken back. Sure he and Gabi had their fair share of fights, but this was the first time she had issued such a low blow.

"Gabi...room...now!!" Her mother said pointing up the stairs. "Homework!"

Gabi stomped up the stairs and they heard her door slam.

His aunt slumped into the chair next to him. She placed a warm hand on his shoulder, "Reiner honey, I'm sorry she said that to you. Joesph loved you like his own son. Gabi is still angry, and I don't think she knows how to channel it"

"You said her teachers have noticed her acting out at school?"

She nodded, "apparently she's been really hard on this new girl at her school, I tried to talk about it with her, and well here we are"

Reiner didn't tell her she knew the girl's older sister.

"Just try to understand that when Gabi gets angry she doesn't mean it."

"Yeah I know, I use to act out like that too when my dad left" Reiner said.

***********************************************

Gabi sat in her room on the verge of tears. She was so angry at the world.

"Why my dad, why did it have to be him" Gabi thought. Her homework was the last thing on her mind.

She took a deep breath, holding in her tears, as she felt crying made her weak.

Laying on her bed, she pulled out her phone and opened Instagram.

She typed in Kaya's handled. Her profile was private. But she saw where a certain boy was listed under mutual followers.

She gritted her teeth. Then went his profile.

FBGrice had a recent post. It was a picture of him, Udo, some anime kid she didn't quite know, Louise, and...Kaya.

His arm around Kaya's shoulder. It was from the volleyball game yesterday.

"Love cheering on some of my favorite peeps 🏐. Shout out to hiyaitskaya22 for trying to explain volleyball rules to me 😁

Gabi felt a flood of emotions ranging from jealousy to anger.

What did he see in that dumb blonde anyways. Besides she has everything, loving parents, a big house, good grades, you name it.

Gabi's hatred of Kaya started 3 weeks into the school year.