Kaya & the Letters (part 2)

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE MANGA
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Kaya didn't  sleep well last night. She tossed and turned, dreamed about Sasha, about Connie, and everything in between. She finally gave up on sleep & got up to get an early start on breakfast. 

The sun was just peaking over the horizon, "I wonder if they ever watched a sunrise together" Kaya wondered as she started the kettle for coffee. She was nervous, he was coming over today, and she wasn't sure she was ready to face her grief again, even though it had been four years since her big sis had died.

As Kaya was finishing up breakfast, a kind voice startled her. "Yer up early Kaya", said Mr. Blaus yawing as he came into the kitchen. "I...I just couldn't sleep very well, so I thought I would take care of breakfast today, give Mrs. Blaus the morning off". "Thinkin' bout Sasha?", Mr. Blaus knew her all to well. She silently nodded. "Here Mr. Blaus have a seat and I'll pour some coffee for you".

Kaya sat down across from Mr. Blaus, he sipped his coffee and was getting ready to eat breakfast. "Um Mr. Blaus.." "I've told you darlin' please call me Artur" "Um Artur, would it be alright if I had the house to myself around 2 today?" Kaya asked quietly. "Oh? Gotta gentleman caller comin" he said with a laugh. Kaya blushed and shook her head, "No I just have a close friend coming by and we need to talk about something important". Mr. Blaus took a sip of his coffee, "it's Connie isn't it?". Kaya's eyes went wide, "how did you...." "Just had a gut feeling, I know you two keep in touch, talk about Sasha", he said. "Well it just so happens I'm heading into Trost today with Lisa, might stop by and see Mr. Niccolo, heard he's got a lady eyeing him". Kaya giggled a bit, "that's not surprising, he is handsome", "thought I don't think he will ever get over his feelings for big sis, or I could always tell him what I know, I wonder why Connie didn't tell him", her thoughts began to swirl in her head. "Kaya you alright?" Mr. Blaus interrupted her from her thoughts. "I was just thinking, can I ask you a question?" "Sure thing" "what do you think of Connie?" Mr. Blaus chewed his piece of toast and swallowed, "fine young man, dedicated solider, bit of an idiot, but then again so was Sasha, but he was good to 'er, did his best to keep 'er safe...." He trailed off. "You know Kaya, it's sounds funny and all, and I know Sasha and that Mr. Niccolo were close, but I was always waiting for the day that Connie would marry my Sasha, just a gut feeling ya know, but I would never let poor Niccolo know that". Kaya remained silent. "seems like they both really loved Sasha" she whispered. "Yeah I mean they both tried to kill kids to avenge 'er, although Connie also thought it would bring his mom back". Mr. Blaus said. Soon after Mrs. Blaus and the few other kids who lived at Blaus stables came into the kitchen, Lisa happy to see breakfast already made.

*Later that afternoon*

Kaya paced as the afternoon sun shone through the windows and the tea kettle was on the stove. The box of letters sat on the kitchen table. She jumped slightly at the knock on the door.

Connie Springer stood at the entrance, in a button down a coat, and slacks. Ever since the Battle of Heaven and Earth, none of them every wore their uniforms anymore.

He saw Kaya and gave her a warm hug. "Connie it's been too long, it's nice to see you back on Paradis". "It's nice to be home for a bit, see my mom, go by and see Sasha, let her know I'm alright", he swallowed the sudden lump in his throat. "Please come in, sit and I'll pour us some tea".

With the tea poured, and after some catching up, Kaya decided to bring up the letters. "Connie, I know it's been 4 years but I need to know.....what were you to my sister?" Immediately Connie looked down at his tea, a blush on his face and tears brimming in his eyes. "Why does it matter now?" He asked in a quite voice. "I...I finally went through Sasha's personal belongings, it was hard to do but I just wanted to know more about her, and I learned there were things I didn't know or thought I did know". "Please don't be mad, but I read the letter that you left on her grave", Kaya continued, "It was very sweet, and that led me to read all the other letters, 7 years worth".

Connie looked up, his eyes brimmed with tears, and let out sad laugh. "I figured you would read them someday, I'm not angry, but I just hate for it to cause you more grief, knowing what Sasha missed out on in life, to get married, have kids, a world without Titans". A tear rolled down his cheek. He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a thick stack of worn letters, "you should read these too, another way to better understand her, understand me, understand us". Kaya took the letters, "are you sure?". He nodded "just as long as I get them back, that's all I have left of her".

Kaya read one of the letters, she set it down and laughed to herself. "I'm such an idiot, I had it all wrong, it was you Sasha was in love with, not Niccolo". Connie nodded his head, "She was my other half". "But I thought since she talked about Niccolo all the time and how much time she spent at his restaurant that they were together". Connie chuckled, "well did she talk about Niccolo or about his food?" Kaya thought for a moment rereading letters and replaying conversations in her head, "mostly about his food, and what a food genius he was". "She wanted to learn how to make such delicious food, so she spent a lot of time with him learning, but you are right that Niccolo saw it as something more." Connie said. "So you guys never told anyone?" Kaya asked. "Jean knew, and that was it". "So why keep it a secret?" "We wanted the war to be over first, to rid the world of Titans." Connie answered taking a sip of tea. "We didn't tell Niccolo because while he became a friend, we didn't have 100% trust in him, and after Sasha died, it...it didn't seem right to hurt him even more, he was already devastated at her loss, but if things had gone differently....." Connie paused again looking down "Niccolo would have forced our hand to be played." "That special meal...." Kaya trailed off. "Yeah he had told Jean that he was preparing to confess his feelings to Sasha, seeing him at her grave looking so hurt, it felt cruel to tell him her heart had belong to someone else, so I said we were like twins, but did kind of indicate that she was my other half, you know the saying don't kick someone while their down". Connie sniffled, visibly upset at bringing up the memories of Sasha's funeral. "And those 2 white roses??" "Were from me...of course they didn't compare to Niccolo's whole dozen", Connie laugh a little. "Connie....I'm sorry you didn't get to have the life with Sasha you and her deserved, after reader through the letters you sent, I know you loved her dearly and she loved you" Kaya said with tears in her eyes know as she held up the letter she just read.

"Connie?" "Yeah Kaya" "where you with her when she...when she died?" The tears broke free from Connie, "until the very end". Kaya placed her hand on Connie's. "Good I'm glad you were with her".

"She loved you very much Kaya, she always joked that you and Mikasa were going to have to fight it out to be her maid of honor". Kaya smiled through her tears. "Well obviously Mikasa would have won". "Probably but you could have been the flower girl" Connie smiled. "I miss her Connie", said Kaya, "so do I Kaya, everyday I wish I could have stepped in the way, or we hadn't celebrated our victory so early". "Connie neither you nor Jean should blame yourselves, you didn't pull the trigger...Gabi did" she added on coldly. "Gabi....regrets everyday what she did, it's hard to let go of anger, trust me there are days I still look at Gabi and feel a flash of anger". Connie looked at Kaya, "but you have to remember, she was just a brainwashed kid, who thought it her mind she was killing the enemy, doing what she was taught to do". Kaya sighed, "yeah I've heard that in  Falco's letters, and Gabi's". "You two talk?" Kaya shook her head. "I write back to Falco, but I'm still trying to find it in me to write back to Gabi, one day I will, just not right now". "I can understand that". "Kaya just keep something in mind, when you think about Gabi, it's something Sasha once told me". "What's that?" "In this war, we are all victims".

Kaya and Connie continued to talk for another hour or so over tea, the conversation was mixed with laughter and tears, Connie sharing more stories about Sasha, the life they had planned out, and the current crisis brewing on Paradis and the failings of the Peace Ambassadors. They promised to keep writing each other.

Kaya hugged Connie. "You know Connie, I think you would have made a great brother-in-law". Connie smiled and hugged Kaya tightly, "and you would have been a great sister-in-law"

"Be careful Connie & be well"

"You too Kaya"

End