No Dogs on the Bed (Levihan)

TW: parental mental abuse, mental illness.

Levi was exhausted. It had been a long day. As a high school English teacher and head boys varsity soccer coach, the spring time was always a busy time. Practice had ran late, Eld and Oluo kept distracting the other kids in his freshman English class, and he just want to pelt them both with soccer balls at practice that afternoon. But his assistant coach, Farlan, reminded him that could get him fired, and Levi liked being employed.

It was about 7:15 when he got home, ready for a hot shower and a night on the couch with Hange.
He walked into their shared apartment, and walked into to their bedroom to a shocking site.

***One Year ago***

Hange and Levi had just finished up college, both taking jobs at Trost High School in the fall. They were excited to be living close to their good friends. One thing they both agreed on was they wanted a dog. When Levi's mom heard about them getting a dog she was shocked, Levi had grown up being an unusually clean child. Later in life, a therapist had diagnosed Levi with OCD, stemming from his feelings of never knowing his father. So this was a huge step for Levi, thought strict rules would be in place.

It was a hot Saturday in June, they had just moved into their apartment about 2 weeks ago, and had the list of approved breeds from their apartment complex in hand, as they headed to the local humane society.

They walked past the rows of dogs, with Hange wanting to take every single one home. Then brought up getting a cat too, until Levi had to remind her that he was allergic to cats.

Finally they stopped at a kennel that caught their eye. It was 2 young Labradors, not even a year old. One was a black lab and the other was a yellow lab. The kennel had their names Hershey and Daisy. They were friendly, neutered, and on their way to being potty trained.

"I should tell you, that these 2 come as a pair", said a voice behind them.

A young lady stood behind them, with a shirt that said "volunteer" on the front.

"I'm Ilse Lagnar, one of the shelter volunteers."

They shook hands, then Ilse's eyes lit up. "Oh I remember you, I was at your interview for the English teaching position at Trost".

"That's where I thought I knew you from", Levi said with a smile. "Hange this is the English department head, Mrs. Lagnar".

"Nice to meet you, I'll be joining you all at Trost as well, teaching biology and personal health". Hange said, excited a meeting a future coworker.

"So this how you spend your summer break", Levi asked, "sounds like a great way to give back"

"Yeah I've been volunteering at shelters since I was a teen", Ilse said beeming. "I love animals and helping them find their furever homes" she said laughing at her own pun.

"So you say these two come as a pair?" Hange asked

"Yes, they were found on the side of the road in a box together, and they are inseparable, kinda like a fox and the hound thing, but no fox", Ilse said. "So these two go together, we just don't think they will do well separated".

Ilse let them in the kennel. Immediately the yellow lab snuggled to Hange and the black lab nuzzled to Levi's legs. Levi wasn't going to sit in the kennel.

Hange soon had the dog in her lab, scratching it behind the ears as it's tail wagged, "Levi....I think these are the ones".

Levi had picked up the black lab, it's head nuzzled into Levi's chest.

"He looks so cute with a puppy" Hange thought.

They couple looked to Ilse, and after papers and fees were paid, they took their two new dogs home.