My spoon stops halfway. 

That statement. Where have I heard that from?

I raise my eyes to meet Ryan's own. His blue eyes shine brightly and he is nowhere close to someone who is about to lose his mother. 

He looks happy and carefree, like someone who has no care in the world about what misfortune might befall him in the next couple of days or months.

That statement just hit up something in me. I know it is supposed to make me feel better but it makes me feel strange.

I think I should call this a wave of deja vu. I have heard this from someone before. 

"Are you a love doctor?" I blink to come back to reality, then dump the food in my spoon back onto the plate.

He shrugs indifferently with a wide smile on his face. "I am not."

"Have you ever been in love, then?"

"No." He answers rather sharply.

"Then how do you know how I feel?" I never told him I was heartbroken. 

What does he think of me? That I am broken because of Fred? Of course not, I might be hurt but I am a strong woman.

"I don't really know", he murmurs, staring into my face and his smile disappearing. "I just want to make you feel better, you know?"

I don't feel better. I wish I can tell him this. Shout it into his ears.

But we aren't here to publicly display our underwear by fighting like we have been doing since we got married.

Today should make a difference. That can only happen if I control my emotions because Ryan is an annoying jerk who can't go a day without making me mad.

"I'm sure there are still a lot of men out there who are good and not…"

"Can we change the topic? I'm not interested in my man and I don't plan on dating ever again, ok?"

He seems taken aback because his jaws drop open, perhaps out of shock or because I cut him short while talking.

"Ok", he eventually closes his mouth and looks like he is still interested in pursuing the topic.

I throw him a cold glare and he shut his mouth again.

I sigh deeply.

This is more difficult than I thought. 

Calm down, Valerie. You got this. Talk to him freely about Fred, it won't hurt. You can't get over him if you avoid talking about him. He is a complete asshole and I want you to prove to these men that you are not as hurt as they think. You got it, right? My subconscious screams at me.