Chapter Twenty Seven

Three weeks later.

Quinn

My mom hadn't quite been able to believe it when I'd given her the keys and told her to drive to the address that had been concealed in a note in between the clothes Dr Owens had left for me.

Neither had Wayne, when Eddie had given him the second set of keys.

Max's mom too hadn't quite been able to; the gesture and the relief had meant that she'd cried out of happiness for two days before they even started packing.

The houses were close together, so we were practically neighbours, like in the trailer park; a touch I think Dr Owens had considered when he'd offered them to us.

But here we were, all moved in and in between recovery and settling in, we were all engaged in helping to rebuild the town.

There were a lot of families that needed housing, and most had been housed in the trailers that hadn't been wrecked in the quake.

Ours now housed several families with children of which we were glad.

I felt guilty for several days though; why had I deserved the new house I lived in when another family was in more need of it?

And it was something Hopper had said, when he'd come to take a look around, that in turn helped me accept that it was a gift I'd been given and it wasn't about who was more deserving.

"Kid, this was Dr Owen's way of making it right with you, and also your mother. You moved around as much as you did, because of their research, their projects. Your mom had no choice but to keep moving and that wasn't the life either of you deserved. This was his way of making it right, and for your parts in saving Hawkins. You did what you did and you now get to have the life you deserve."

"You ready to go?"

A voice broke me from my thoughts, as I stood in my mirror in my room, smoothing out a familiar blue tea dress with white flowers. I eyed my black converse for a moment, before I spied a pair of arms wrap around my waist from behind me and a face came to rest on my shoulder.

"I'm ready." I said, with a smile.

I leaned into his embrace, breathing him in as he kissed my neck softly.

"I never thought I'd get to go to one of these." He whispered in my ear.

"And here we were." I said, with a smile.

"You sure you want to go?" He asked.

I tilted my head upwards and felt his lips cover mine for a moment in a soft, gentle kiss.

"Of course I want to go. It doesn't matter where we go or what we do, as long as we're together." I said, my hands over his.

"Let's go then Princess." He said, with a beautiful smile.

We descended the stairs and my mom was at the bottom, smiling up at us.

"And where are you two off to, all dressed up?" She asked, happily.

"I'll let Eddie tell you." I said, stupidly happy.

Eddie smoothed put his black button down shirt, and his black jeans with a smile, and wrapped an arm around me.

"Going anywhere nice, Eddie?" She asked, as we looked at each other and smiled.

"A graduation party." Eddie said, as I watched her confused expression.

"I'm sorry?" She asked as Eddie stuck his chest out with pride.

"None of us managed to finish school through no fault of our own. I haven't graduated obviously...." I said.

"But I have. Finally! I've officially finished high school." Eddie said, as my mum cheered loudly.

"Oh my! That's excellent news, oh Eddie I am SO happy for you." She said.

"86 baby. It's finally my year." Eddie said, sounding relieved.

"It is." My mom said, before opening the front door for us.

"Have a good time and enjoy. But Quinn?" She said to me.

"Yes mom, home by 11." I said, rolling my eyes.

"And don't forget it!" She called after us as we walked down the driveway.

I smiled to myself and stared up at Eddie, who smiled down at me, holding my hand tightly.

"I love you, Eddie Munson." I said.

"I love you too, new girl." He replied.

"Class of 86, you did it." I said, as he kissed the top of my head.

"I finally did it." He said, "It's my year, at long last."

THE END.

Authors notes.
It is finally, sadly (and happily) the end of this story. ❤️

It started with them together, and ends the same way.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to read this, I am grateful. I have enjoyed every minute writing this and another story is already in the pipeline.

I haven't written a story in years and at times I felt I was a little rusty here and there but if you read this story from beginning to end, thank you. Thank you so much.

My favourite character got an ending I wish he'd had.

He graduated!

He got the girl!

And he got to live.

Writing "The End" was bittersweet.

But with a new story, I can continue my love for a character who I feel will always be the true hero. And I hope that you'll be with me, to read it. ❤️