Chapter Fifteen

Eddie

"I gotta hand it to her, she sure had your back, dude." Steve said, leaning against the wall in Quinn's hospital room, his arms folded across his chest.

She was sleeping, and I shifted in the chair slightly, the straight back a little uncomfortable.

"Oh god yeah, she absolutely did. You all did.... Thank you." I said, smiling gratefully.

"How is your stomach?" Nancy asked, from the other chair.

"Well one of the perks of not being charged with murder is that I got stitches and dressings. And an x-ray. I'm all good, just superficial." I said.

"How is Max?" I asked.

"It's a miracle she's alive. Her heart stopped for over a minute, and then suddenly started again. The doctors can't explain it." Nancy said.

"Eleven could." Steve said.

"Have they said when she'll wake up?" I asked.

"They don't know.... She might not." Nancy said, bowing her head slightly.

"It's not over, is it?" I asked.

"Far from it." Steve replied, shaking his head.

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"Stick together." Nancy said.

"Like we always have." Steve said, in agreement.

"One thing's for sure..... she's secured her life, until the end." I said, looking fondly at Quinn, leaning forward to take her hand in mine..

"What did you mean by Sage Witch?" Steve asked suddenly.

"D&D, that's what level she was at. I was impressed already, but when Vecna told her she was a worthy adversary.... In D&D terms it almost made perfect sense." I said.

"How?" Steve asked.

"In terms of the game, she'd be part of his undoing." Nancy said, understanding.

"A witch against a wizard." I continued.

"We'll all be part of his undoing." Steve said.

"We will." Nancy said.

Quinn shifted in the bed, and she stirred, her beautiful eyes flickering open.

"Eddie...." She said, groggily.

"I'm here my girl, I'm here...." I said, smiling at her.

"Hey...." I said, squeezing her hand.

"I'm thirsty...." She said, her voice hoarse.

"I'm on it." Steve said, reaching for the pitcher on the side table. He poured water into a cup and passed it to me.

"Here....." I said softly, bringing it level with her lips.

She took a few sips, and sighed gratefully.

"I wish it was soda." She said, as we all chuckled softly.

"I'd kill for a grape soda about now." Nancy mused, as Steve rummaged into his pockets.

I heard loose change jingle and he smiled broadly.

"4 sodas, coming up." He said with a grin.

"I'll go with him." Nancy said, giving me a knowing look.

She was giving us some time together.

"I honestly don't know how to thank you. For saving me, for having my back, for me not getting arrested...." I said, the words tumbling out.