xix. COACH HEDGE EATS MIDAS'S LAWN

Začít od začátku

"Curses!" Midas wailed, "That was a naughty trick, demigods. I'll get you for that."

He patted Lit's golden shoulder. "Don't worry, son. I'll get you down to the river right after I collect this prize."

Midas lunged forward at the demigods. They both dodged, but the old man was pretty fast. Jason kicked over the coffee table and slammed into Midas's legs, knocking him over, but he regained stature quickly.

The king jumped at Jason again and Y/n kicked him in the chest, knocking the wind out of him. Then she felt the air pressure in the room drop, making her ears pop. Midas felt it too, and stumbled to his feet, grabbing his donkey ears.

"Ow! What are you doing?" he demanded, "My power is supreme here!"

Y/n stepped back, standing next to where Jason was as thunder rumbled outside, turning the sky black.

"You know another good use for gold?" Jason asked.

"Yes?" Midas raised his eyebrows, suddenly excited.

"It's an excellent conductor of electricity."

Raising his javelin, the ceiling exploded. A lightning bolt tore through the roof like it was nothing, making it crumble like an eggshell. The electricity connected with the tip of Jason's spear, and arcs of energy sparked throughout the room, ripping the sofas and furniture to shreds. The chandelier above Midas groaned and snapped off its chain and pinned the old man to the floor, causing him to let out a shrill scream. The broken glass turned into gold immediately.

The rumbling thunder stopped, and freezing cold rain poured into the building. Midas cursed in Ancient Greek. The rain soaked everything, causing all the gold in the room to turn back to its original form; including Piper and Leo.

Y/n looked up with her eyes closed as the rain covered her. She felt the ache in her body quickly disappearing as the rain washed down to her feet, and the stinging sensation from the potion burning her face quickly dissipated. She instinctively grabbed Jason's hand and noticed that all his bruises went away with her intention. The blonde muttered a 'thank you'.

The front door burst open quickly, and Coach Hedge charged into the room with his club ready for a fight. His mouth was covered in dirt, snow, and grass.

"What'd I miss?" he asked.

Jason and Y/n scowled at the satyr. "Where were you?" Jason demanded. Y/n could feel that he was trying to keep himself up after exerting a lot of energy from summoning that lightning bolt. She kept holding his hand, pouring her energy into helping him.

"We were screaming for help," Y/n said disappointedly.

Hedge belched, "Getting a snack. Sorry. Who needs killing?"

"No one, now!" Jason shouted. "Just help grab Piper and Leo."

Y/n moved her hand to Jason's shoulder, helping him walk over to their friends.

"Don't leave me like this!" Midas wailed.

The statues of his victims had been turned to flesh — his daughter, barbers, and a whole lot of angry guys with swords.

Jason walked over to Piper and Leo, and Y/n left the boy to go grab Piper's golden bag and tossed it over her shoulders. She then walked over to Lit's golden statue and threw a rug over it, hopefully keeping him from turning back to flesh — at least for a while.

"Let's get out of here," Jason told Hedge and Y/n, "I think these guys will want some quality time with Midas."

Y/n nodded, walking back over to her friends and grabbing Leo's limp body, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and helping him walk as Jason aided Piper.