I furrow my brows in confusion. Why does he want to know where I went? We aren't real so why should I tell him where I went?

I guess he is tired of the silent treatment. I am good at it. I can go days without saying a word to my mom. She has been the one at the receiving end of my bad and worse moods.

Curiosity takes over my raw confusion. "What are you hiding?"

"Oh!" He murmurs and brings his left hand into view. He is holding a box. "I got you something."

A gift?

This is something I never got from Fred in the years of our relationship. At first, I didn't attach much importance to it until Brenda noticed and called my attention to it.

I couldn't tell him. 

He never bought me a gift. A single gift. He only takes me out for dinners but there was never a gift. That was what our relationship was mounted upon.

"It's fine if you don't want it, I will…"

"No", I cut him short with the wave of my hand. This is obviously his way of apologizing for what he did. "You can keep it", I say and tap on the space beside me on the bed so he can drop it.

This gesture is bringing back memories of my relationship with Fred. Everything was rosy except for two things; no gifts and his cheating nature.

Fred and I barely had any fights in the years we have been together. He either shuts me up with a kiss or ignores me till I am calm.

I hate him!

It still hurts and it makes me extremely sad.

I didn't mean to see him today. I would never have chosen to see him but I did anyway. It was too much of a coincidence because I saw his numerous missed calls this morning when I came out of the bathroom.

He didn't call back and I have no idea if I would have picked up if he had called back when I was so close to my phone. Instead, he sent me a message, accusing me of getting married to Ryan so I could make him jealous and also because Ryan is a billionaire.

I felt bad because he mentioned that he knew I cared less about wealth.

I didn't reply but I wish he was close by to hear my own reply.

"Valerie, are you sure you are ok?" Ryan's touch jerks me out of my reverie. I blink immediately and try to smile but it comes out faltered.

"Sure, I'm good. I thought you left."

He shrugs. "I didn't move an inch until now which shows that you were lost in thought."

"Not really. I'm just extremely tired."

I don't want him to think so low of me. If I tell him I am this way because of Fred, he might think that way of me or even taunt me about it when next we fight.

I decide to say something else. "I went for a job interview today, though."

"A job?" He seems surprised and I nod with an eager smile.

This is something I have always wanted. Mom kicked against it saying it wasn't a reputable job but now that I am married and I feel idle being home all day long while Ryan is also at work, I decided to try my luck one more time.

Like a brush of air, the news makes me feel lively again.

I smile at Ryan and he nods, not looking pleased. "You don't want me to work?"

"No, I just didn't expect…", he pauses. "What type of job is it?"

"I'm going to be handling the locations of archaeological projects as well as archaeological research in the college. So I am basically a writer."

He nods. "That's a good one. You studied archaeology?"

"Yep. I might be considered to go on a research trip too after a while."

He nods again and looks thoughtful. Suddenly, he rises and begins to walk to the door.

"Ryan?" I call him back. He stops by the door with his hand already on the doorknob.

He does not turn back and it dawns on me that something is bothering him. Maybe it is because of the job.

Or is it about the gift he brought? Is it because I didn't appreciate it?

The box is sitting beside me on the bed and I wonder what is inside.

"Thank you for the gift", I appreciate him and he nods too, making me wish he can twirl around so I can read his expression.

He is still standing by the door so I ask. "Do you have something to say to me?"

He remains silent.

This must be it. He must have something to say to me. Bringing a gift for me after what he did isn't enough. He is supposed to at least say something about our little fight. This way, I can easily forgive him and let it go.

I don't really mind being the only one helping in this marriage but I just really wish it can be reciprocated when needed. I ventured into this with my two eyes open despite knowing that I am going to be helping him to achieve his goal but I can't help how I feel.

Should I tell him I am sorry about what happened? Maybe I had gone a little overboard. 

I shouldn't expect too much from him. He has a lot on his desks already and adding mine to it will break him.

I still can't deny the fact that he is still arrogant but sometimes, his behavior amazes me. He acts calmly like a gentleman but I don't want him to be a gentleman.

Fred was a gentleman yet he betrayed me. We should probably keep arguing and fighting each other till everything comes to an end.

Before I can say a word, he twirls around to face me. He mutters firmly. "Let's start dating. I want us to go to parties and dates."

It comes as a shock and my mouth drops open for a second before I nod quietly in agreement.

Our marriage is just beginning.

****

The update on this book might no longer be daily. I have a lot on my desk but I will try to make it daily.

Air your views and don't forget to vote.