forty.

ʚɞ

// vomiting, physical illness...

jieun woke up in a sporadic manner, eyes watery as her mind refused to stop it's frantic spinning. she felt as if she'd been placed on a neverending, 100 mph carousel. when will this end?

suddenly a sour, cheek-watering taste came up from her throat, jieun silently whining before throwing up. she hadn't gotten to consume anything the past three days, all that was released was the burning stomach acid that'd been eating around her internal system overnight.

jieun?

the girl wiped her mouth, eyes lighting up with the slightest ounce of glitter. jungwon!

hi, ji.

the way in which he spoke her name caused her to melt, she never thought it could sound so beautiful. hi, won.

the boy thought her replies were weird — she seemed much happier than usual, what had happened? you okay?

mm, yeah. just threw up a bit, but that made me feel better for some reason.

jungwon repeated her reply aloud to the boys, heeseung's eyes immediately widening before they watched jungwon's cheeks puff up, the boy lunging over a plastic bag they'd set out for any emergencies.

fuck.

wait, what? the girl asked, not believing of what the boy was telling her. you're.. i'm..

hyung said we're soulmates. the doctor we've been on the phone with all week is a soulmate expert, the only one in the world. we've been connected in some way since birth, apparently.. us spending time together just made our bond stronger.

but since we've been apart for so long, it's decreased?

mhm.

and.. we have forty seven minutes left to connect?

..mhm.

and if we don't.... we die?

there was tension, from both ends. jieun spoke slowly, allowing the information she'd just received in her mind as she reiterated them to jungwon.

mhm. he said after a long while of waiting, jieun exhaling in disbelief.

oh.

a few minutes passed and now the boys were using jungwon's thoughts as a way to communicate with jieun, for the last time.

none of them wanted to accept this as the reality — they all wanted the girl to burst in through the doors any second, screaming at them and laughing as she tells them it's the worst prank in history,

but it wasn't. this was real — they were losing both of them.

the six boys damned jinghua and her entire bloodline, hoping and manifesting for nothing but horror to terrorize the rest of their hopefully miserable lives. 

can i talk to my brother now? i'm sorry for making you do so much, won.

are you up for it? you're sure you'll be okay? he ignored her apology, simply being glad he was able to hear her voice.

ji? she swore she'd heard jaeyun's voice. hi, sis..

hi, mate.

jaeyun's eye let go of one, singular tear.

it'd been hard for him to show any emotion in front of the members — not wanting to somehow embarass himself with seeming vulnerable. he hated himself for it now, seeing them all cry over his baby sister.

it was his baby sister. why hadn't he been the one crying in their arms — his new brothers. the brothers that loved jieun like their sister, too.

promise you'll still be around, yeah? i wanna tell my kids about your annoying ass, don't let them think it's just a fairytale.

are they done now? she asked, multiple tear strains marking her cheeks. she thought she'd lost the chance to cry.

a glimmering, bright red light snaked from under the two soulmates, heeseung staring at the string in distress. he felt mad at himself for not finding jieun fast enough.

the six boys all sat around jungwon's bed, the boy covered in blankets as the cold he felt throughout his body made him feel as if he were freezing to death. they each made sure they were touching him, even if it was just his finger from outside the blanket. they'd never get to do this again. they'd never get to hear his soothing, angelic voice singing — nor would they see him master a new dance like the prodigy he was — nor would he ever be casually sitting on their shared couch again. they were losing their leader – the biggest part of their team.

yeah, it's my turn.

yet another tear fell from jieun's eyes, knowing these were her final moments. she sat slumped against a cold, concrete wall. her body was weak, head pounding, heart breaking.

/// character death.

i'm sorry, won. i'm sorry for being taken and ruining our chances of living the life we dreamed of and planned together.. i'm sorry i didn't get the chance to treat you how you should be treated, for showing you more of myself and of the world when we had the chance and time to be together.. i took the time with you for granted, there's nothing i want more in the universe than to be with you right now. i miss your warmth and your smile.. i forgot what your smile looks like, won. i imagined it so often in my dreams, it got lost. you made me feel like the only girl alive, you made me feel special, won. i wish-

i love you. i love you so much, sim jieun. he thought out, crying into his blankets. a broken sob escaped jungwon, unable to contain his hurt emotion.

that laugh — that beautiful laugh jungwon loved more than anything in the world sounded through his ears for the first time in two weeks. jungwon smiled as jieun spoke again, you had to wait until now to tell me that?

the soulmates shared a laugh, a golden, glittery tear escaping their right eyes at the same time as they shared the same, beaming smile.

breathing became hard for her, but she didn't mind. she'd been preparing for this moment ever since that moment in the convenience store. she was ready, but not to let jungwon go.

"in the next life or whatever comes after this, i'll still choose you, yang jungwon." the sound of her melodic voice sounded through his mind for the final time, jungwon hearing the love of his life's last breath.

the boy wished he could engrave the sound wave of the sound on his body, but destiny decided it'd do better in his soul, instead.

the boys held eachother, crying as they witnessed the last of yang jungwon's bright smiles, the same as jieun's last, steady breath being his as well.

ʚɞ
choose, 끝.