10 (NEW)

ETHAN

He cleaned the last specks of dirt off the kitchen countertop before Mother arrived, Urto and Jesti disappeared and took their own rides back to Roxton. His compearl never made a sound to break the crackling pressure in his ears as he wiped off the last steak knife to place it back into the protective block before pushing it into the small unit, where the cover dropped down to hide it. It tightened with the tension in his temples as wheels crushed gravel on the beaten path.

Mother and Chalen.

"Mom's here," Keren said from the windowsill.

Lightning force sizzled through his world as he rested his hands against the rim of the metal sink. Tongues of intent licked his ears as he tried to crack out the stiffness in his neck. He dug his fingertips into the cleaning crevice while it shuddered his skull and crept down his back. Tighter. Closer. Teeth nicked his skin as he tapped his fingers to the tune of water and flames. Once. Twice. It coiled around his throat while the world slowly shuddered with red.

Someone's hand touched his back.

It whipped across his entire body, and he slid out of the contact. "Stars, Keren," he hissed, who withdrew his arm. "Don't sneak up on me." He rubbed his brow and longed for a peaceful sleep, while Keren pursed his lips and raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure you have everything packed? I don't want to have to drive back here because you forgot something."

"Yes, I packed everything." Keren pouted. "...nag."

"Such disrespect, maybe next time you can leave all your toys here and I'll pretend to not hear you when you complain about not having them," Ethan said and a door slammed closed. "Come on, let's get your bags to my car."

"Also, I didn't sneak up on you."

Ethan threw his bag over his shoulder and nudged Keren out the door and onto the grounds of the cottage. "Momma!" Keren called and rushed down the steps, and Ethan scoffed and took his packed bag from his flapping arms before he tossed it to the side. He steadied it against his arms and chest and shambled over to his car, where the trunk popped open when he pressed the edge of his prismkey against it with his hip.

He glanced at the three when Keren bounced between Mother and Chalen, who smiled down at him with warmth, locked with ice. Ethan tucked both their bags in the trunk to conserve space, but gripped the edge when Mother said, "Ethanius, can we talk?"

Ethan checked Keren once more, where Chalen distracted him with ease. "Is this about why we were sent here?" he asked and rested his hand on the top of the trunk.

Her gaze drifted to the left. "Yes and no. Did anything happen up here?"

"No, Mother."

"Are you sure?" she insisted. "Nothing at all?"

"No."

Keren's laughter broke the icy tension between them when Chalen gave him another small ship, which zoomed around with the remote in his hands. His fingers threatened to scrape the paint job of his car, where the lightning sizzled in his ears and he turned from her to stifle its grating lick. He grabbed onto his bag when it sank into his stomach and dragged down his alertness.

"Ethan." Mother's hand cupped his forearm.

"It's nothing," he said. "You didn't answer my question."

Mother drew her hand away. "You were sent up here to... spend a bit of time away from the city."

"Dad gave me the same spiel," Ethan said and leaned against the side of the trunk.