Chapter 12

When I enter the class on Tuesday, I put one bag next to me to save a seat for Mariam. I want her to sit next to me. I am not sure why, but I think I would like it if we started doing these things. Like two real good friends.

When Farah comes in, I notice that she looks for a couple of seconds at the bag on my left, then moves to the other side and takes a seat beside me on the right. She greets me and we share a small conversation before the professor comes in. She and I spent the afternoon of Sunday studying together after she texted me asking if I needed company studying. And I did. But how she was able to tell, I do not know.

When the ten minutes pass, I lose hope of Mariam showing up to the lecture and take my bag down to the ground.

Curious enough, I text her. I notice Farah looking at me when I take out my phone as though disappointed. As soon as the message shows received, Mariam starts spamming me with photos. I click on download all and wait for few seconds to check them out.

"You should focus." Farah whispers.

I am Farah, but on something else. I am focusing on the backgrounds in these photos. Where is she? I've seen these sights before. I recognize them well. It takes a minute, but I do.

"Oh my God." I whisper underneath my breath.

"I thought you were atheist." Farah whispers.

"I can still use the expression."

Farah laughs, even though I did not mean to be funny.

I text Mariam back.

Me: What on earth, Mariam? Since when?

Mariam: Since Wednesday morning.

Me: What are you doing there?

Mariam: What does it look like we're doing? Nancy and I are being tourists.

Me: You're crazy.

Mariam: I don't get why. But okay, sure.

I put the phone aside, realizing that it will take me at least five minutes now to understand what the professor is talking about. Of course, my main purpose coming here was not to increase my GPA. But I still do not want it falling down as well. Mariam, however, seems like she could not care less about her GPA.

And I am back to Mariam.

Focus, Caleb.

When we get out of the class, Farah waits for me to finish packing and walks by my side. Farah has always been nice. I like her company and she has always expressed her willingness to help me. But she is not different. She is someone I could have met back home. She is someone I could have met anywhere. She does not talk about different things. She does not think about them, probably. Her interests are like those of any person our age. And I did not come here to spend all my time with just another person my age.

"So Caleb, how are you spending your nights?"

A little too forward, I joke in my mind.

"Studying. Or with my roommate, most days."

"Would like to go out with us? Me and my friends? We go out pretty often. Of course, when we have no upcoming exams." she laughs.

I expect that if I say yes, she will say "Great. I will text you when we make plans." And then when they make plans, I can tell her I have my own. Or I can just go out with them. I will have the chance to accept or deny the request depending on how I feel.

"Why not." I say.

"Cute! We're going out to play board games tonight. The place is very near, in Hamra. You could there walking. I will share a location as soon as possible."

Hamra is a very famous street in Beirut. Everyone who comes to Lebanon visits Hamra street. The name means "the red" with a feminine suffix, as Danny explained once. It is a busy street at day and night, full of restaurants, coffee shops and clothing stores.

And I might be just stuck for now.

"I... Um..." I hesitate.

Farah puts her hand on my shoulder. "Please?"

"Alright. I'll meet you there."

Farah leaves me for another class that she has, and I walk to the nearest library and text Mariam again, interested in what she is doing and why.

The pictures Mariam sent me are from Istanbul-Turkey. I know that because I have looked up almost all famous cities in the world and checked their most important sites. It is something I do from time to time. I always want to be prepared for my next trip, so I look up random places all the time and add them to my list depending on the priority. Istanbul was somewhere in the top 15 places on my list. Yes, that is impressive, because my list includes around 50 to 60 cities.

Mariam explains to me that she and Nancy decided to go to Istanbul on Tuesday and have booked a flight for the next day. She tells me that she is staying there until Sunday night. And that she is really enjoying herself. As well as the fact that she does not care if she misses some classes; "nothing can be said in the class that I will not be able to learn on my own when I come back." she texted.

I admire both her and Nancy for doing something like that. I wish I was as spontaneous. Here I am, dreaming of traveling everyday but never really doing something so unprompted about it.

I tell Mariam about the fact that I would love to visit Istanbul and she sends me photos every couple of hours from the places she is visiting. And we chat a little. And it is very smooth and sweet.

———
Author's note:

Hamra Street: