03| T E R R I T O R Y

"Ouch." Leo intelligently said as he flopped onto the large duvet-covered mattress. He gave a pity-filled look to a sulking Emmett while Natalie flipped through a magazine. 

"If it would make you happy, I can erase all of her memories of ever having a boyfriend and then eat him." She offered, flipping to the next page and circling a pair of shoes. They'd match perfectly with the dresses that Alice had picked out for the bridal shower. 

"No. We don't eat people." Emmett sighed, sliding down the wall gently to avoid breaking the tiles. "Correction- You don't eat people. I don't have a problem with it. I don't turn people with my teeth like you weirdoes." She joked slightly making Emmet playfully roll his eyes and hiss at her. 

"She has a boyfriend! Why didn't I just look her up on social media first? Or hire a private investigator. I want her to have memories of him. It would be wrong to take that away and it would be like I made her like me... Like I forced her to come with me. Never in my 80-something years, have I had such a bad day. This will ruin me! When I get over shock- wait- can vampires go into shock?"

He rambled for the rest of the night. 

Natalie and Leo paid attention to his worries, but the girl had half a mind to knock him out; Forcing him to sleep through the night to rest his mind. 

Instead of falling asleep with Leo, she quickly checked the crystal she had snuck into the blonde girl's pocket. 

It projected an image to her, the girl was arguing with someone. Another older girl. Maybe a sister?

"He's been dead for months! You have to come home. Now. We're worried about you, Sophie. We let you take this trip on your own, but Stanford is waiting on you. That never happens. You can't pass this up." The blonde stared at her phone with a wobbling lip, showcasing to the girl on the call that she wasn't ready. 

For what, Natalie didn't know.

"You don't get it, Laura. You're married. You have kids. You've got this big house and white picket fence, you are perfect. I don't want to come back. I want change. My life needs it."

This is getting a bit too intimate for Natalie to be listening...

...But at least she learned something. 

"Hey, Emmett." She whispered. "Yeah?"  He whispered back, wanting to keep a cranky Leo from waking up. "I don't have to eat her boyfriend. He's dead." She tried to sound as nonchalant as possible, unintentionally downplaying the girls' trauma. In many of her past lives, she's felt that pain. Falling in love, and then losing them. She's felt that pain, but it's not up to her to comfort the girl. If she were to accept Emmett, then she'd possibly help the girl out.