A humorless laugh had left my lips when I first read over the words, because it was clever in one way but cruel at the same time, for they knew full well that we didn't have twenty million to give them if I decided to cut ties with Jungkook.

If we had the money, we wouldn't be in this situation, I thought to myself.

But we accepted it as it was destined. There was no doubt on my part and if Jungkook became the one, his family would have to figure out how to pay out the same amount to us. I would not be the one walking away from it.

Would I eventually throw that ring after five years bearing his last name? I didn't know and it was too soon to contemplate such a thing. But what I did know was that it wouldn't be that easy, if it came to that point.

"Come in!" I called out upon hearing a knock on my door as I stood in my walk-in closet picking out an outfit for the event. I glanced over the edge to see who it was and spotted Sophia coming in.

She held two boxes in her hand, which she placed on my dresser, and smiled at me. These came for you, she indicated with her hand and I hung the blue dress back before walking over to her.

Opening the box, I fished out a smaller black velvet box. Although I knew what had to be inside, I flipped the lid back and a small light of blue and white fell on its content. A ring.

My shoulders jerked with a scoff. I hadn't expected to get a proposal on one knee, because nothing about this soon-to-be-real marriage was as it should be. Everything was a formality and even this ring on my finger would represent only the union of two families for business purposes.

Small diamonds adorned the band, but the real focus was set on the largest teardrop-shaped gem in the center when you looked at it. It caught the light and reflected small flecks of color. Not very ideal or resilient for everyday wear, but still pretty.

It is a beautiful ring Sophia commented and I nodded slowly.

Indeed it was, but it didn't feel personal. It was a ring that anyone would find beautiful, but it held no history, no feelings because there were none. So I felt nothing as I inspected every detail of the silver band before stowing it in the purse I had chosen for the event.

"Help me pick out a dress?" I changed the topic and Sophia's lips curved up into a sympathetic smile.

I always loved how she understood me without me having to bother putting my thoughts into words. She always sensed it with a little glance and even if my behavior changed just a little bit.

Being in her early fifties, she was probably only a few years younger than my mother would be today if she were alive. And so she was and had been all these years, the only mother figure in my life.

She had never voiced her opinion on the marriage and I didn't have to ask to know she was concerned for me. Sophia attempted to smile whenever the subject came up, but that was it.

After picking out a dress, I sat down at the dresser and started doing my makeup. The driver would probably arrive here in half an hour to pick me up, so I had plenty of time to get ready.

Jungkook had mentioned that it was an event for donations. Apparently, every year around the same time, a similar event was held for the business community, where investors could meet new partners.

Being a corporate finance consulting firm, Jeon Coop. was one of the best-known in the city. And what better opportunity than this event for such a company? And as his now fiancée, I had to attend as well.