The Aftermath - V

Começar do início

"You make it sound like it's so simple."

"Because it is simple. You only think it's not that simple and you believe in it, when in fact, it really is just simple," Anne-Marie explained. "When you condition your mind and start to believe that it's not simple, that's when you give up. If you start telling yourself that you can't forgive, you can't accept, you can't let someone in because it's not that simple...then it's done. It's always that simple, it always was, it always will be."

Jade was speechless as she stared at the bartender in shock.

"Sorry, I have a major in Psychology," Anne-Marie admits and gives Jade a sheepish smile.

"You sound more like a therapist to me."

Just then, the door chime rang which caused both women to look at who came in.

"Oh! My boss is here. I gotta go. My shift has ended, my boss will take care of your orders."

Jade nods, "Thank you, Anne-Marie."

"Don't mention it..."

"I'm Jade." She extends her hand to the bartender. Anne-Marie was glad to take and shake.

"I'll see you around!"

Anne-Marie greets her boss. They were having a small conversation when her boss glanced towards Jade's direction.

"Oh, my golly! Jade?!"

Jade was startled when someone called out her name. She was surprised when she saw Anne-Marie's boss coming her way.

"Jesy?"

"What the..." Jesy quickly grabs Jade's glass and sniffs it. "What the hell are you doing here drinking vodka in the morning? Please don't tell me you're here to apply for a job. Sorry, but I don't have plans to sell this place to the Edwards."

Jade only chuckled at this. "You own this place?"

Jesy nods, "My folks inherited this from my grandfather. And now they're letting me manage the joint. It has a lot of sentimental value that cannot be bought."

"Don't you have work in Disora? Or you're one of those who–"

Jesy shakes her head. "No...no, I'm still in Disora. It's Saturday, I work here on weekends."

"Oh...right. Saturday."

Jesy slides into the seat opposite of Jade. "What's up? Why get wasted in the morning?"

"Avoiding people who get wasted at night. You know, the ones who think they have the license to do stupid things."

"So you want a license to do stupid things in the morning, then?" Jesy inquired.

Jade laughed. "I think I've done enough stupid things."

"Like...walking away from Perrie?"

Jade froze in place when she heard Jesy mention Perrie's name. "What?"

"I'm sorry. I wasn't eavesdropping. It's just that...you two weren't exactly quiet. You were really loud that day in the middle of the office, so it was kind of hard not to listen."

Jade waved her hand. "Don't be, it's fine."

Jesy studies Jade as the brunette stares at her drink.

"You look miserable, Jade. I haven't seen you since that day in Disora. What happened to you?"

"Trying to get over the fact that I'm still married to her after all these years."

"Believe me, everyone in Disora, including me, are also trying to get over that fact. Oddly enough, I haven't seen Perrie either. I heard she just stays in her laboratory all day, every day, 24 hours a day, seven days a week trying to create the medicine that could cure her sister."