The Aftermath - II

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry, but you can't use this elevator at the moment. Kindly use the stairs." She says in a husked, round, and mature voice.

Jade squints her eyes at the security's name patch. "Look, Security Jauregui, I'm going to the top floor of this building, it would be painful to use the stairs." Jade rebuts, trying to use her charm so she can go her merry way.

"Then you have to wait."

"Wait for what? Is it under maintenance? I just used it literally ten minutes ago. It was working fine." Ever heard of a faulty wire, Jade? The voice in her head thought.

The security subtly rolled her expressive forest-like green eyes."Honey, I'm just following orders from my superior. A VIP is coming and she doesn't like to share the elevator with anyone, so I've been instructed to hold anyone who approaches the lift to have them use the stairs instead."

"Oh, great!" Jade scoffs. "Where is this VIP, then? She can't possibly take the elevator to herself that long, you know? People are working on the 10th floor–"

"Actually, yes, she can if she wants to," the security retorts, completely cutting Jade off. "Because she's the new owner of this company."

Jade was baffled and confused at the same time. Surely a change in ownership couldn't happen in just twenty minutes, right? "New owner? What happened to Mr. Styles?"

The security only shrugged and averted her gaze to the rolling doors of the entrance. "Step aside, hun...she's coming." Jade moved and stood next to the security guard as she looked at the woman responsible for her delayed trip back up at the office.

Everyone who went about their day stood frozen in place as they gawked at the new owner. She arrived in style wearing a black silk blazer matched with black wide-leg trousers, accessorized with a suspender belt. Her honey blonde hair was slicked back showing her long, sexy neck where it showcased a gorgeous and sparkling diamond necklace paired with gold feather hoop earrings. Her black Saint Laurent Opyum sandals clicked on the marble floor, demanding attention with every step she made.

This woman looked every bit intimidating. Someone who doesn't settle for less. Someone who holds high standards. Someone who gets what they want and doesn't take 'no' for an answer. And with that power suit she so flawlessly wore, it was sure she'd have the world wrapped around her finger.

The blonde didn't even glance at Jade's direction. Heck, she wasn't sparing anyone a look at all. It's as if the people around her don't exist. She was talking to someone on her phone and went straight to the elevator.

She rode the lift alone and Jade saw that the 10th floor button lit up, indicating that the Miss CEO's destination was the same floor on which she worked. Which wasn't questionable since Mr. Styles' office is on that floor.

After a couple of minutes, the elevator was back to the ground floor. Jade was about to hop in but the security stopped her again when another blonde woman came and got inside the elevator as well.

"And who's that?" Jade asked, already irritated at the fact that drinks are starting to get cold..

"CEO's Executive Assistant. Another VIP."

Jade's eyes widened, "New Executive Assistant? W-What happened to Mr. Payne?"

The security shrugged again, "I'm afraid I don't have the answers to your questions. Don't be surprised if one day you don't see me here anymore and find a new security lady as well." Jade blinked and didn't know what to say. This new boss lady sounds way too uptight. "You can use the elevator now."

As soon as the green-eyed security said that, the elevator doors opened and in went Jade.

When she arrived at the 10th floor, there was a remarkable change in the ambiance. There was no unnecessary chatter, everyone was so focused on their jobs. Typing away on their desktop, the slight hustling of papers, and the occasional squeaking of their chairs. Nobody was walking around without a clear destination.