The Middle

"Riri, I don't think we can do this anymore."

Those words were hard to say. It's what Hoseok needed to say. Just before she came over he told himself he needed to end this with her. They need to go back to being best friends and just that. It's the right thing to do, but why does he already regret those words?

She's looking at him not saying anything. Her big brown eyes are starting to tear him apart inside and he doesn't quite know why.

"I'm sorry," she says softly.

"You don't have to be sorry for anything. It's my fault things have gotten so complicated. I just don't really know what to do."

"It's ok, I get it. Despite what you said before I can see that you want a relationship and clearly that's something she can give you and not me. I'm just someone that can bend over for you."

"Riri...don't ever say that again. You're much more than that to me and you know it."

"What am I then?"

"You're my best friend. The person I can always lean on. The person I want to protect. You've been with me through a lot, you should know better." This is so difficult. He's stuck between wanting to hug her, kiss her, and cry. His emotions are a fucking mess.

"You're all of that to me too," she says wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her head on his chest. "I wish I could be more for you."

"What more do you want to be?" He chuckles holding her tight. "You're nearly everything already."

"Nearly," she chuckles. "Thanks, Hobi. For always being there for me."

"Of course," he says kissing her forehead. He didn't mean to but it's like his body went on autopilot and once he realized what he had done he only pulled her in tighter. He feels like he just broke up with her but he can't quite let her go.

He's starting to think he may feel something for her that he'd been trying to avoid. She was always off limits in his mind, but once he got a taste of her he couldn't stop. But now he's choosing Taebin and he's not even sure this was the right choice.

The guilt eases day by day, and Nari and him are the same as before. So why is he not happy? Talking to Taebin doesn't bring him the joy it once did but he's trying his best to not make it noticeable.

Oddly enough, he and Jin have been talking more and they're quickly turning into good friends. Jin invited him out for dinner and drinks and they talk about nothing in particular and just enjoy themselves.

Of course they also talk about Nari. Jin is concerned that she still hasn't contacted him and so is Hoseok. He's told him everything he knows from the past few years, how Leo treats her and controls her. He's even vented to Jin about how frustrating it is that after all this time she won't accept any help to get out. He opened up to him about how worried he is about her at all times. He didn't mean to talk Jin's ear off about Nari but he's easy to talk to and a great listener.

It's been two weeks since Hoseok ended things with Nari. He doesn't know why but it still feels as if they broke up. They're still in the same routine as always, just not fucking at various times.

Sunday afternoon Taebin is at Hoseok's place hanging out. They went out for breakfast and went back there since neither of them have anything to do. They're cuddled on the couch watching random videos on YouTube when there's a knock at the door. It's a heavy frantic knock that has him springing into defensive mode.

He gets the door and it's Nari holding her stomach while hunched over in pain. Her lip is cut and bleeding and her cheek is bruised and swollen.

"Riri holy shit are you ok? What happened?" He asks in a near panic quickly ushering her in to the couch.