Shrugging Luke simply smiles, "It's not that much." He casually defends.

"That's a happy birthday banner." She points across the room to where it hangs from the curtain rod over the window, "And a gift, and a cake?" She points to the table.

"I have dinner too." He chuckles, wrapping an arm over her shoulders as he guides her into the room further.

"Thank you." She sighs, wrapping him in a quick side hug.

"I did it because I wanted to. Now go sit on the bed." He pushes her hip lightly, heading for the little table to grab two containers before joining her. "Happy Birthday, it's not fancy, but Peter may have mentioned it is your favorite." He hands her one of the boxes.

"You asked my brother what my favorite meal is?" She laughs, popping the styrofoam lid on her container.

"I did. I had to make your birthday special." He nods,

"Chicken tenders?" She laughs as the lid falls open.

"With french fries and ranch as dip." Luke nods.

"It is my favorite, even if it's childish." She nods, pulling a fry out of the container and popping it into her mouth.

"Classic, not childish." Luke shrugs, repositioning to sit beside her on the bed.

"Thanks, Luke, for planning this little birthday celebration for me." Elodie sighs, leaning her head against his shoulder as she eats her dinner.

"It's not a problem, I wanted to."

"So, chicken tenders, cake, a gift, what else is on the agenda tonight?"

"What's your favorite movie?" Luke asks, reaching for the remote.

"A Cinderella Story."

"With Hilary Duff?"

"That's the one." She nods, "I'm shocked you know it."

"El, Mean Girls is my comfort movie, and you don't think I know A Cinderella Story?" He laughs.

"Touché." She giggles, watching him find the movie.

Silence falls between them as they finish their food, Elodie's head falling against his shoulder as they watch the movie. Luke's head finds its way against hers, his fingers absentmindedly brushing over her thigh that's pressed against his.

Elodie sits up when Luke pauses the movie about halfway through, turning to look up at him, "Want some birthday cake?" He smiles, sliding from the bed to grab the other box on the table, along with the gift bag.

"I can always use cake." She nods, taking the box from him as he climbs back onto the bed, opening it carefully. "Luke." She gasps, looking from the little cake to him as she sees it.

"Pink is your favorite color, right?" Luke nods, smiling as he watches her take a photo of the cake.

"Did you ask Peter again?" She nods.

"No, that one you told me once." He chuckles, "I remembered it all on my own. And I got you this." He sets the bag in her lap, looking something like an excited child as he waits for her to pull the tissue paper out of it.

Carefully removing the paper Elodie reaches into the bag, her hand clasping around something hard and rectangular shaped, pulling it out of the bag. "Lu!" She looks from the beautiful leather journal to him, setting the dark book in her lap. "Thank you." She adds.

"I saw it in a bookstore window a couple days ago and immediately thought of you." He shrugs.

"It's beautiful. I love it. Thank you."

"I debated getting you some pens to go with it, but I know people who actually write are picky about their pens. I didn't want to get you the wrong ones."

"This is more than enough." She chuckles, "And you're right, I do have a favorite kind of pen."

"I'm glad you love it as much as I thought you would." He grins, "Should we enjoy the cake and finish the movie."

"I'd love that." She nods, setting the new journal aside and carefully picking up the cake.

"I didn't get plates, so we are sharing this, and whatever we don't eat we can toss, no need to save it." Luke grabs a couple forks taped to the lid of the box.

"I'm not afraid of you, Luke. We can share this." Elodie laughs, taking a fork from him.

"So is this where I should sing?" Luke taunts.

"Please don't." She laughs nervously.

"Happy birthday to you," Luke half sings, "happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Elodie, happy birthday to you."

"I hate you." She blushes, turning away from him as she shakes her head.

"No you don't." His whisper is right against the shell of her ear, causing her to shiver slightly before she freezes as his lips press to the spot just in front of it for a moment.

"Just eat some cake." She offers with a shaky voice.

***
Guitargirl9
New York, NY

Liked by lukehemmings, AshtonIrwin, and othersGuitargirl9: nobody likes you when you're 23 🎂

Guitargirl9: nobody likes you when you're 23 🎂

Lukehemmings: Happy Birthday, El! 🎉

Sadielady: happy birthday sis! I'll like you even while you're 23 🫶🏻🫶🏻

——————————
One birthday down, one to go...

Vote and comment!

I love you guys!!!

~M =)